Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

spylinker freq

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 11:10 AM
quyetflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spylinker freq

i bought an 800mw system from spylinker....does this system run in the 1.2ghz range??....i live in southern ny...right near the city....and i fly 2 miles from westchester co airport. Im not reallly looking for the FBI to roll up on me while im in mid flight capturing the trees around my local flying feild....anyone got any info>?
Old 08-14-2003, 11:49 AM
reznikvova-RCU

Default spylinker freq

Dont fly too close to the Control Tower...
You are transmitting to any one of these frequencies:
1.08ghz

If you have switches of your Tx, and Rx you can choose your freqency out of these.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:53 PM
RC-Archer

Default spylinker freq

One thing you can always do is turn on your receiver/monitor and turn the tuning knob and see if you can pick up any transmissions.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:01 PM
quyetflyer

Default spylinker freq

ok that scares me...cause one of my flying fields is approx 1/4 mile from the endpoint of runway 16 at HPN (westchester county airport)...im guessing that i should leave the camera at home when i fly there???.....this is bull!...i buy a camera, and its illegal!
Old 08-14-2003, 05:06 PM
reznikvova-RCU

Default spylinker freq

If you are that close to an airport, I wouldnt risk it.
You can always wait until I get my 2.4 ghz systems instock, they are legal to use in the U.S.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:08 PM
reznikvova-RCU

Default spylinker freq

You dont have to leave the camera at home. The only thing you shouldnt do is turn on your Camera TX there :P
Old 08-14-2003, 05:12 PM
quyetflyer

Default spylinker freq

thanks vova...but i think ill leave the whole video setup at home....dont think the extra pound of weight im adding to my threedee is helping my split s turns
Old 08-14-2003, 07:36 PM
RC-Archer

Default spylinker freq

Hey, Can you do us a favor and set up your receiver/monitor at your flying field and see if you pick up any signals? I'd be interested in knowing if you're picking up any signals: video, audio or alien near the airport.

It's not illegal to receive signals, just to transmit on 1.2 ghz.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:05 PM
reznikvova-RCU

Default spylinker freq

Rc- Archer,
Im also interested in this "project."
Old 08-14-2003, 09:21 PM
mr.rc-cam

Default spylinker freq

The experiment will not offer any real data. Aviation NAVAIDS does not transmit composite video. So, using the video Rx to look for these neighboring transmissions is not going to help much. Ordinarily you will not detect anything intelligent in the air even if aviation related signals are present.

As far as being "legal" the most effective solution is to earn your ham license. In doing so you will learn what spectrum areas are legal, RF safety, some basic radio theory, and so much more. License info is available at www.arrl.com.

With the amateur license you will be able to use the 2.4Ghz Video Tx's too. Only models that have FCC Part 15 stickers on them are license free; I have yet to see the imported systems have that approval. So, there is more to the story than has been brought up in these discussions.

RC-CAM
Old 08-15-2003, 11:37 PM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spylinker freq

But even w/ a ham licence, you still can't use 1.2GHz, right?
I looked at the frequency chart: http://www.remote.arrl.org/FanDES/fi...ands_color.pdf
In the lower right corner, it starts at 2.3 GHz
Old 08-16-2003, 02:59 PM
mr.rc-cam

Default spylinker freq

But even w/ a ham license, you still can't use 1.2GHz, right?
Licensed hams can use 1240Mhz to 1300Mhz (23cm band). Healthy RF power levels are available to them too.

I am a bit alarmed at the number of vendors that are not informing their customers of the legal issues of the equipment being purchased. Nearly everything sold for wireless video must be operated by a licensed user. The FCC rules are clear about the steep fines that can be levied against a violator.