Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Nubie seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 11:02 AM
Dave Yoder

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nubie seeking advice

This has probably been discussed here before, but I'm new to RCU, so please bear with me.
I would like to mount a tiny video camera in my Sig LT-40. Does anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive and simple to operate camera?
I'm not looking to spend more than $50. I've been looking on Amazon, but there are so many with features that I don't need. I just wanted to see if there were any commonly used ones by members here.
I just want to get some ariel videos, nothing real-time or anything like that. I just want to record to a mini SD card to view on my home computer.
I would also be open to any mounting suggestions, tips, etc.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:15 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Yoder
This has probably been discussed here before, but I'm new to RCU, so please bear with me.
I would like to mount a tiny video camera in my Sig LT-40. Does anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive and simple to operate camera?
I'm not looking to spend more than $50. I've been looking on Amazon, but there are so many with features that I don't need. I just wanted to see if there were any commonly used ones by members here.
I just want to get some ariel videos, nothing real-time or anything like that. I just want to record to a mini SD card to view on my home computer.
I would also be open to any mounting suggestions, tips, etc.
Hi Dave, Welcome to RCU !

I have only one thing to mention, because I'm not all that versed in aerial photography, and that is this;

If your Sig LT-40 is powered by a glow engine VS an electric motor, you will need to give careful consideration to mounting the camera so that the oil residue from the exhaust doesn't get on the camera and obscure it's lens. As in, perhaps mount the camera on the wingtip, with of course a balance weight of the same weight as the camera on the opposite wingtip.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:53 PM
RC Fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, try and find a used Go Pro. I monted one with double sided tape onto both my Sig Senior and a P-51. As mentioned, place it so the residue from exhaust does not cloud the lens. Great videos!
Old 02-03-2022, 03:53 AM
Dave Yoder

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I thought there would be more interest in this. I guess with the introduction of drones, not many plane guys do this.