Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

SEAPLANE VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 03:10 PM
PINETAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEAPLANE VIDEO

Well as ugly as it may be here are my first 2 flights with a glow plane. I plan to mount onboard video as soon as I can get together a worthy system. (see request below)

[link=http://www.pintaro.org/video/alphaseaplane.mp4]Seaplane Video in MP4 format[/link]

[link=http://www.pintaro.org/video/alphaseaplane.avi]Seaplane Video in avi format[/link]

I have been flying slow park flyers and seriously almost wet my britches when this plane leapt off the water. To make matters worse i was flying in substantial wind!! Needless to say I know my flying is pretty sloppy compared to others I have seen but this was my very first flight with a glow plane.

On another note....

I need a good onboard video system for this plane. (Fubar help me out, spell it out for me,) I've wasted some money so far --- My Spylinker system never arrived -- he says it shipped 7/29/03 but it never came -- I bought a tinywireless.com system --- that system was not that great either....

By the way as this is my first glow plane --- is all that streaming fuel out of the exhaust normal? Really coats the plane etc. Can you tube that exhaust out the rear behind elevators?

Please critque my flight!!

Thanks

Tony

ww
Old 10-06-2003, 08:03 PM
wings

Default RE: SEAPLANE VIDEO

It may be my PC, but I can' it to play. The MP4 will load but it says my player don't support it. The avi won't even load. May just be my computer, but I'd love to see it. I flew my first glow plane this weekend too. Its much easier than electrics don't you think?
Old 10-06-2003, 08:23 PM
aaron2874

I love seaplane videos!
Old 10-06-2003, 10:19 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

For a first and second attempt at flying glow, I think you did very well! The only critiques I can offer would be to not pull up so fast during takeoff if possible as it looked like you were heading for a tip stall both times. I have never flown off of water (yet) so I dont know what is normal handling for a water takeoff. Regarless, you got control of it right away so no biggie.
The other critique I can offer is to add some rudder input to your turns. I am in the process of learning this myself, by the way. Unless you are taught this by an instructor, its something that tends to be neglected but becomes VERY important when landing or taking off in a cross wind. Keeps the plane level as opposed to banking when using the ailerons to correct against the cross wind.
Other than that, I thought the flights went very well especially considering the wind.
As far as the slime, welcome to the World Of Glow Flying! About all you can do is make sure you are not running too rich and aim the exhaust output as far as you can from the plane. Dubro also sells silicone exhaust extensions that ziptie on the tip of the exhaust pipe that might help.

As far as airborne video, everyone here knows that I have had good luck with the Spylinker 800mw system but, being on 1.2ghz its not legal to operate in the US so take that into consideration.

You might also look into the BlackwidowAV 2.4ghz systems. Cost a bit more than the Spylinker systems but quite a bit less than other systems out there. I plan to buy one of his 600mw tx/rx combos soon. I have one of the CCD cameras he sells and like it so much, I want a second one.
Plug. Plug. Hi Bill! Plug. Plug.

ORIGINAL: PINETAR

Well as ugly as it may be here are my first 2 flights with a glow plane. I plan to mount onboard video as soon as I can get together a worthy system. (see request below)

[link=http://www.pintaro.org/video/alphaseaplane.mp4]Seaplane Video in MP4 format[/link]

[link=http://www.pintaro.org/video/alphaseaplane.avi]Seaplane Video in avi format[/link]

I have been flying slow park flyers and seriously almost wet my britches when this plane leapt off the water. To make matters worse i was flying in substantial wind!! Needless to say I know my flying is pretty sloppy compared to others I have seen but this was my very first flight with a glow plane.

On another note....

I need a good onboard video system for this plane. (Fubar help me out, spell it out for me,) I've wasted some money so far --- My Spylinker system never arrived -- he says it shipped 7/29/03 but it never came -- I bought a tinywireless.com system --- that system was not that great either....

By the way as this is my first glow plane --- is all that streaming fuel out of the exhaust normal? Really coats the plane etc. Can you tube that exhaust out the rear behind elevators?

Please critque my flight!!

Thanks

Tony

ww
Old 10-06-2003, 10:23 PM
Fubar-One

My Quicktime player worked fine for the MP4.
I was also unable to download the avi file for some reason.
Glow flying is definitely a blast, aint it? Try an Ultra Stick 60 with a Magnum .91 fourstroke. Your teeth will get sunburned!
Of course I have video of it! Uh, the flying, not the sunburn... Might just stick that 200mw cam/tx unit on it facing to the rear...

ORIGINAL: wings

It may be my PC, but I can' it to play. The MP4 will load but it says my player don't support it. The avi won't even load. May just be my computer, but I'd love to see it. I flew my first glow plane this weekend too. Its much easier than electrics don't you think?
Old 10-07-2003, 07:46 AM
SeacretsOceanCity

Nice video,What engine are you using? looks like a nice match although I like to have a little more reserve power for trouble. I would think with floats it would lend more confidence Cant wait to see that seaplane video (wireless)
Its funny I live on a huge pond1/4 mile wide 3 miles long, and never thought about installing floats now I have another winter project
Old 10-07-2003, 07:51 AM
PINETAR

Sorry about the avi file --- it failed to upload because it was over 100 meg -- i am going to reload although I doubt anyone will want to dl unless you have broadband etc.

Others have been able to view the mp4 file so you may need an update
Old 10-07-2003, 08:01 AM
PINETAR

Thanks for the tip... That thing comes off the water like a rocket (when it comes off the water)

I tried 5 times over the weekend to fly but could not get it to come off the water. The missing element? NO WIND!!! This plane will not take off unless it is going into a decent headwind... I may need to some help from someone on this... as I would much rather learn to fly this plane without 15 mph winds throwing it around.

After I saw your suggestion on the rudder input in turns I remembered reading in my radio manual about being able to this automatically. Would this be a good idead? Somehow you can program the radio to add rudder during your turns for a "coordinated turn"

Back to the takeoff --- when you get on plain (floats) and give it a touch of up elevator it shoots right off the water -- is there a way to "dampen" elevator response? or would this cause more trouble for other flight responses?

In regard to video --- I ordered the spylinker but it never came and he wont refund the money so I'm not going to go that direction again.... do fubar you would recomend the blackwidow 600 mw system with a ccd camera? Let me know as I will order today!!!

Thanks for the other tips as well!!!
Old 10-07-2003, 08:05 AM
PINETAR

Wings ---- I personally think my electric park flyers were much easier to fly.. but it could be that I'm not used to all that speed yet... have you tried to play the mp4 video with your quick time player?
ORIGINAL: wings

Old 10-07-2003, 08:25 AM
Lancair-RCU

Pinetar,
I think what you experienced in youre difficulties in geting OFF the water with no wind, may have been exactly what full scale seaplanes can encounter. If the water is flat and glass like it can be near impossible to break the surface tension, sounds bizare but it can and does happen. Maybe if you added a small turbulater near the front of each float, just at planeing water line, a match thickness across the float may do it, itd break up the water a bit better with little drag penalty.
On a seaplane flight on my honeymoon I asked the pilot if hed encountered it, he replied most definately flying around the islands, picking up people off boats in sheltered coves etc. Hed prefer a choppy surface any day he told me.

Lancair
Old 10-07-2003, 09:00 AM
SeacretsOceanCity

Would a bigger engine solve this and some EXPO maybe 20% on the elevator I know nothing of seaplanes. But I would like to know.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:04 PM
AutoMike

Pinetar, Lancair is right about your troubles getting off smooth water. I love flying off water myself and for a few seasons did nothing but floatfly. Heres a easy thing to do on smooth water days" taxi out into the lake and make four or five large figure "8"s in the middle of your takeoff area, line up for take off and travel right up the middle of the converging waves. This trick breaks the suction of the water on the floats and your away for another flight. good luck. Piper
Old 10-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Fubar-One

I dont know if I would program the radio to do the coordinated turns just yet. You would probably be better off just practicing working the rudder manually while flying to learn how it flies. As part of the programming of my Ultra Stick 60, one of the settings did slave a percentage of rudder input to either the elevator or ailerons (I forget which) and I ended up removing that setting. You can always program in the rudder stuff at a later date.
As far as taking off from the water, I would be NO help there. I havent even SEEN it done in person!
As far as the video system, I dont blame you for not wanting to throw more money to Spylinker if you never got the one you paid for. Maybe the boat sank or something?
I dont have any real experience with the BlackWidowAV video system other than the camera, but I have yet to hear anything negative about him and I do hear good things about him. My personal experience with him, other than postings in this forum, was the camera purchase and I am very happy with it so far and he shipped that puppy out FAST.
Seems like a great guy and I definitely will be buying that 600mw system he sells as soon as I get some spare cash. The Spylinker stuff is very cheap but the BWAV system meets my other criteria such as small size, light weight and it with the camera will run off a standard rx pack. Means I can use it on a slope glider! It also seems to be the second least expensive system I have run across.
As I said, I dont have one yet. But I will.[8D]
Keep practicing. We wanna see some airborne seaplane video!
ORIGINAL: PINETAR

Thanks for the tip... That thing comes off the water like a rocket (when it comes off the water)

I tried 5 times over the weekend to fly but could not get it to come off the water. The missing element? NO WIND!!! This plane will not take off unless it is going into a decent headwind... I may need to some help from someone on this... as I would much rather learn to fly this plane without 15 mph winds throwing it around.

After I saw your suggestion on the rudder input in turns I remembered reading in my radio manual about being able to this automatically. Would this be a good idead? Somehow you can program the radio to add rudder during your turns for a "coordinated turn"

Back to the takeoff --- when you get on plain (floats) and give it a touch of up elevator it shoots right off the water -- is there a way to "dampen" elevator response? or would this cause more trouble for other flight responses?

In regard to video --- I ordered the spylinker but it never came and he wont refund the money so I'm not going to go that direction again.... do fubar you would recomend the blackwidow 600 mw system with a ccd camera? Let me know as I will order today!!!

Thanks for the other tips as well!!!