Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

License

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 02:33 PM
wyfry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License

I have been asked to shoot some video's with my RC parachute and I am looking at wireless video equipment. I know that transmitters are rated either part 15 (non ham
license), Technical license required, (part 90) and (94). Is part 90 and 94 for fixed locations? I have no problem in getting an amateur license. But my concern is that
I would be doing this for profit. (Amateur license states that you can not use this for profit). I only would require about 600 yards of transmission. And I am thinking about
Old 10-16-2003, 10:07 AM
mr.rc-cam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: License

Part 15 systems might not offer the range performance you need. Obtaining 600 yds of reliable video from a moving 1mW Tx is a tough nut to crack. Could be done with VERY high gain Rx antenna aimed at the model. Would be a piece of cake if this was fixed LOS operation.

You are correct, the USA ham license is strictly for hobby use and cannot be used by organizations/businesses/enterprises. Even non-profit status does not offer a remedy. BTW, amateur radio is Part 97. As I recall, Part 94 is the old obsolete class for fixed microwave installations.

Perhaps your best bet is a commercial Part 90 license. Your application is commercial in nature and you are operating as a business (I assume you are a legal entity). I understand that annual license cost is low.