Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

What level of HAM is needed for 2.4Ghz Use??

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

What level of HAM is needed for 2.4Ghz Use??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Snyperx
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What level of HAM is needed for 2.4Ghz Use??

If am am going to get "legal" before I get into areial video, what level do I need to use the stuff sold my Blackwidow? Do I just need the entry level? I went to the AARL website and they have like 3 levels. Please help. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:45 PM
RichD

Default RE: What level of HAM is needed for 2.4Ghz Use??

dont think you need anything for 2.4Ghz.... if you did, you'd need a liscense to operate most new phones.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:24 PM
yb2normal

You can get away with the most basic, and easiest to get, the 'no code' technicians class license.

I paid $10 to take the test at the local ham club (of which I wasn't a member). The license itself is free.

Regards,
Bill
Old 12-14-2003, 07:52 PM
mr.rc-cam

Yup, all you need is Technician Class. Details are at www.arrl.org
Old 12-14-2003, 11:26 PM
IA-Flyer

Snyperx, I just saw you're from Iowa!

Des moines and the eastern side of the state has some test locations, I'm driving 150 miles to Sioux Falls to take mine.

You don’t need a license if the transmitter is Part-15 like cordless phones and store bought video senders. If you want more power and range you need the technicians class license and it looks pretty easy to get.
I sent you some links in a PM.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:30 AM
smitymax

I do not think that the video transmitters the you buy are in the Ham band on 2.4 anyway. So for that purpose you dont need a license, but you have to use them as they are and as intended and not modified as to power output or frequency, which is the same for the R/C frequencies on 72 mHz.
By the way the "ham band" at 2.4 gHz is 2.300 gHz (2300 mHz) to 2.450 gHz (2450 mHz, so actually only 50 mHz of the ham band is in 2.4 gHz.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:36 AM
mr.rc-cam

I do not think that the video transmitters the you buy are in the Ham band on 2.4 anyway.
It is a good idea to ensure the 2.4Ghz system supports the ham band before it is purchased. The decent 2.4Ghz systems will cover part of the ham band. Generally via frequency selection switches that control the PLL. It is the responsibility of the ham user to ensure the proper frequencies are in use (not a big deal to a practicing amateur radio operator).

So for that purpose you dont need a license, but you have to use them as they are and as intended and not modified as to power output or frequency, which is the same for the R/C frequencies on 72 mHz.
Unless the video Tx is marked with a valid FCC PART 15 registration label, it will be illegal to use unless you are licensed (via commercial or ham ticket). R/C systems are license-free per the Part 95 rules. Part 95 does not cover wireless video systems.