Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Where can I buy a good cheap wireless A/V system?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Where can I buy a good cheap wireless A/V system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Daniel_B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I buy a good cheap wireless A/V system?

Hi,

I am building a rocket and I want to put a mini wireless color camera with audio on it. I've been looking for wireless A/V systems 800mW, 1500mW) on eBay and on the web, but they are all from China and I'm not sure if there legal here in the USA. I need a transmitter capable of transmitting about 1500-2000ft. I am not going to be using this very often, so I don't want to have to go and get a HAM license. Is there any reasonably good quality system that is cheap and does not require a license, and weighs under about 1/2 a pound? Also, will a 800mW or 1500mW wireless transmitter have enough power to send the video and audio 1500-2000ft, I can't ever get a clear answer?

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 02-24-2004, 06:29 PM
stevennh

Default RE: Where can I buy a good cheap wireless A/V system?

You probably wont find any license free transmitters that will cover that range. The 1.2GHz systems from Hong Kong and China mostly operate between 950MHz and 1.1GHz and are not legal in the US. There are many systems that would cover you in the Ham relm. A 600mw 2.4GHz system would probalby do the job for line of sight (BlackWidowAV.com).
A tech license (Ham) is not hard to get, and the 600mw 2.4GHz system would be legal with one.

Steve
Old 02-24-2004, 08:10 PM
mr.rc-cam

License-free (FCC Part 15 approved) devices are very low power and hence short range. For range beyond about 300 feet you will need to get a ham license if you wish to operate within the FCC regulations. The ham license is not difficult to obtain and the knowledge you gain studying for the test will help you obtain better performance from your wireless video system. License info: www.arrl.net
Old 04-04-2004, 07:34 AM
ghjr
My Feedback: (1)

What is it frequency used for the 2.4ghz tx?
Old 04-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Underaged Pilot

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=226
look at that
Old 04-04-2004, 04:30 PM
Fubar-One

They transmit on 4 diff frequencies, 2 of which are legal with a Ham license. I forget the exact frequencies off hand but I discussed this with Bill back before I purchased one to make sure it was legal.
As far as "Bang For Your Buck", the BWAV systems are, in my opinion, the way to go.
I have run the gamut of way overpriced cam/tx all in one 1.2ghz systems, low priced but work very well 1.2ghz systems ("800mw"), a $350 12v 900mhz CCD system, and the BlackwidowAV.com 5v 2.4ghz 200mw CCD system I am currently working with.
The BWAV system is giving me the best results, hands down, no contest. Shot this video with it:
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/usbw1.wmv]Ultra Stick 60[/link]
And just yesterday:
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wingo1.wmv]WingoCam1[/link]

ORIGINAL: ghjr

What is it frequency used for the 2.4ghz tx?
Old 04-08-2004, 12:37 AM
mikez104

Ouch!

Cool video.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:31 AM
Mhale71

here in australia we use 35 and 36 MHZ for planes, 72 and 75 are illegal and on the australian ebay there are 1.2ghz and 2.4ghz systems, would eithere of them be worthwile, or, legal?
Old 04-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Fubar-One

Both 1.2 and 2.4ghz systems come in versions that are worthwhile but you would have to find out whether they would be legal in Oz or not. Best 1.2ghz systems I have found are the "800mw" type systems. CMOS cameras but pretty cheap and work great for the money.
The 2.4ghz systems usually have a CCD camera which is better and also work much better than the 1.2ghz sytems but cost considerally more. Legal in the US for use by a licensed ham. BlackwidowAV has the best priced 2.4ghz systems I have found and they work great. Dont know if he ships down under or not...
ORIGINAL: block head ned

here in australia we use 35 and 36 MHZ for planes, 72 and 75 are illegal and on the australian ebay there are 1.2ghz and 2.4ghz systems, would eithere of them be worthwile, or, legal?
Old 04-11-2004, 02:05 PM
yb2normal

ORIGINAL: Fubar-One
BlackwidowAV has the best priced 2.4ghz systems I have found and they work great. Dont know if he ships down under or not...
Yup, I ship worldwide.

Bill
Old 04-12-2004, 05:44 AM
Mhale71

cool, thanks too, i may not get meself a camera yet, im makeing a fleet, comeing back into the hobby u see
sofar i have a discovery 40 and i plan on getting a kyosho concept and a gws j3-s but i would like to make a nvideo see how high i can get, we have a highway passing our club and a biig farmland, at our club it is also combined with a rc car club. a r/c boat club, ride on trains club, slot car club, model train club, wow, lots of things to spy on... however id prolly only attempt to mount a camera on the concept or the stick, i like my discovery too much to sacrifise it with an off balance.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:53 AM
Mhale71

and also one more thing, 72 and 75 mhz are illegal here because thats the channels reserved for ambluance and police cars, [:-][X(]
heheh
and ive been looking on ebay for cammeras, i can get a tx and rx set 1000mw 1-2km range for 50 bucks, thats about 40 or 30 in us dollars but thats got no camera included and it looks like it weighs too much and is too big for a slo stick, concept or discovery, i have also founs several cmos 200 mw ons that claim to have a range of 200 metres, some 300 metres, and one guys says his 200mw system can go 1400 metres, so almost a mile!
(a mile is 1.6 km isnt it? sorry, im trying to talk in yankee language...)
ill get the ebay numbers BRB

*five minutes later *

ok i got the numbers...
3090536004 << that one looks good
3186860536 << that guy sez his 200 mw can go 1400m
3187250549 << thats the 2km 1000mw tx and rx set
Old 05-24-2004, 05:36 PM
Foggy Bottom

Don't bother with the Ham Liscense! If you use the ham band you must Id the signal (An overlay board cost s $75.00-1000 And must be rf proofed) Instead of more power go to ramsey electronics and look at the gain antennas (cheap)
Old 05-24-2004, 08:25 PM
mr.rc-cam

If you use the ham band you must Id the signal (An overlay board costs $75.00-1000 And must be rf proofed)
(1) A piece of cardboard, with your call sign handwritten on it, should cost almost nothing. This works fine if you keep your flights under 10 minutes.
(2) Print the station ID on the model's fuselage within camera view. Cost: free.
(3) Print the station ID on the back of the prop. Most CCD cameras will "freeze" the image. Cost: free.
(4) If your system has audio, just speak the call sign into the mic. This works fine if you keep your flights under 10 minutes. Cost: free.
(5) There are other methods too. Those above are cheap and easy.