Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

BWAV 600mW / AeroStar 40 video

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 02:02 AM
IA-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BWAV 600mW / AeroStar 40 video

[link=http://elwood.pionet.net/~jjoy/AeroStar%20Flights/AeroStar_6-25-06.zip]AeroStar_6-25-06.zip (Right click and "Save AS")[/link]

I did a flight to test my newly installed Co-Pilot today. I wanted to check the bank angle when orbiting a subject on the ground before I install side view zoom lens cameras.
Way cool, I think the Co-Pilot and ARF’s should be banned! New flyers should have to learn the way I did, build and crash, build and crash…

The video is longer than I usually post at 25.3 megs but its actually edited for a company that is looking at the data. I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone because its been a while since my last video post here.
The first half is trying out bank angles and flying the plane using only the rudder.
The last half of the video I turned the Co-Pilot off and did some (trainer capable) aerobatics.
Yea, I set ground level to 20ft AGL when I calibrated the altimeter, it seemed like the thing to do at the time.[X(]
The video system is a BlackWidowAV 600mW TX/RX.
I’m using an 8.5 dBi patch receiver antenna, and a modified version of Bill’s ground plane antenna on the plane.
Thanks Bill, it’s working great!
Old 06-26-2004, 02:40 AM
SNoWJackal

Default RE: BWAV 600mW / AeroStar 40 video

Nice video, did anyone else notice increased frame rate at about the 2 min mark. First time I watched it I thought you just kicked it up a notch but then noticed the frames where going faster but they did return to normal. Do you always fly at the same intersection or do they all look the same in IA.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:56 AM
IA-Flyer

I fast-forwarded that part of the video because it was just covering ground, it does look kind of strange when you watch it though.

Yea, pretty much all of Iowa looks that way!
When I’m just trying something out the intersection works well because hardly anybody uses the road and it’s close to home.

Here are a couple of videos that I actually drove somewhere looking for better scenery!

[link=http://elwood.pionet.net/~jjoy/VideoStick_5-27-04.zip]VideoStick_5-27-04.zip (Hills and airport)[/link]

[link=http://elwood.pionet.net/~jjoy/VideoStick%2006-03-04.zip]VideoStick 06-03-04.zip (Abandoned bridge and hills)[/link]
Old 06-26-2004, 06:55 AM
stevennh

Tell me more about the co-pilot and your ground plane antenna. I am using the stock whip on the plane (same system tx/rx). I still get a few drop outs when I fly directly overhead (the null of the whip). Is the co-pilot GPS based? I was thinking of trying to rig my plane with my Garmon GPS-12, but the extra weight will probalby be a problem with my Aerobird Extreme. I would have to whip up a text overlay device as well and a serial converter to pull the data from the Garmon.

Steve
Old 06-26-2004, 07:52 AM
IA-Flyer

I just have the Co-Pilot installed for now.
Yes that GPS 12 is the good one, but it’s heavy!
I have an eMap but I think I’ll get a Geko 201 to save some weight when I add the GPS return home system.

The antenna is just a standard homemade dipole with the ground plane wires added.
I made it so I can slide the copper tube off to try different designs.
It seems to work well when overhead and at distance so I haven't changed it yet.

That’s a very capable Aerobird you have, by the way!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71203.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	147509