Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Latest Effort. 600mw BWAV system.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latest Effort. 600mw BWAV system.

Swapped my 900mhz tx for a BlackwidowAV 600mw tx in my Kadet Senior. Also testing a telemetry unit, hence the readout in the video.
I have since ordered the disk antenna from BWAV and will experiment with both that and the patch antenna. The video here was transmitted and received with the stock duckie antennas.
Plane was flown exclusively by eye from the ground. I might re-cover the wings in a different color. Transparent Blue is not a good choice.
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/blackboxtest2.wmv]600mw test[/link]
Old 07-27-2004, 07:51 PM
BiplaneCrasher

Default RE: Latest Effort. 600mw BWAV system.

Mr. Fubar...

What on screen system are you using. It provides the info you need for most anything, altitude, speed, RPM, and volts d.c. Is that the system from the U.K.?

Nice video BTW...

Thanks

Eddy.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:53 PM
SNoWJackal

nice what was with the RPM readings? the altimeter looked dead on and ended at 0 so thats a good sign. that was some crazy vibrations you where getting. At any rate nice video I always look forward to watching your vids!
Old 07-27-2004, 11:44 PM
Fubar-One

I am unable to disclose any info on the unit at this time. I just got the 600mw BWAV system installed and hadnt been able to share any new video lately. Hoping the video will improve a bit when I add the disk antenna. Unfortunately we cant set the video receiver out in the middle of the field due to the riff that tends to raff thru it. Cant fly and keep an eye on the gear at the same time! The rx doesnt seem to dig sighting down along the tree line and there are some definite signal holes when the plane is directly overhead.
Will share the telemetry info when I am permitted.
ORIGINAL: 4TECMAN

Mr. Fubar...

What on screen system are you using. It provides the info you need for most anything, altitude, speed, RPM, and volts d.c. Is that the system from the U.K.?

Nice video BTW...

Thanks

Eddy.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:48 PM
Fubar-One

I need to re-install the rpm sensor differently it seems. Still working on it. Also the vibrations are definitely a problem that I also need to solve. Cleans up at lower rpms but sure shakes at full throttle! Trying to design a sort of foam rubber sandwich mount for the camera. The optimal correction would be to soft mount the engine but I dont want to take the whole plane apart if I dont have to!
Glad you like the vids! Hope to have some new footage this weekend at a different location for a change.
Was hoping for some slope footage but the winds didnt cooperate last sunday.[]
ORIGINAL: SNoWJackal

nice what was with the RPM readings? the altimeter looked dead on and ended at 0 so thats a good sign. that was some crazy vibrations you where getting. At any rate nice video I always look forward to watching your vids!
Old 07-28-2004, 12:37 AM
Mhale71

is the airspeed indercator, rpm meter, and altimeter included with the 600mw system or did you add them?
lookin good! apart from the vibration, mummy open a window for me to spew out..
Old 07-28-2004, 05:16 PM
yb2normal

Nice video!

Surprisingly good results with just the stock whips.

You could always make one of those hardhats with the patch attached to the top so it was alway pointed at the plane. Then you wouldn't have to squirrel it away in one corner of the field, only to be stolen.

As an added benefit, nobody would bother the crazy guy with all those wires hanging off his hardhat

Bill
Old 07-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Fubar-One

Nope, the telemetry is from a separate unit that is being tested. Yeah, I gotta fix the buzz![:-]
ORIGINAL: Mhale71

is the airspeed indercator, rpm meter, and altimeter included with the 600mw system or did you add them?
lookin good! apart from the vibration, mummy open a window for me to spew out..
Old 07-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Fubar-One

Actually, I have tried that. Unfortunately I was using the toast tx at the time and wasnt sure if it was the tx, the cam, or the helmet setup causing the poor results. Definitely was the tx!
The patch antenna fits perfectly on the front of a standard ANSI hardhat and I ziptied the rx to the rear and velcroed a 10 cell Nicad pack for power. The ungainly part is hanging the camcorder bag off the shoulder and firing it up. Once it is all on and running, its no problem to carry while operating the plane.
Now that I know both systems are operating properly, I will probably re-assemble the Doozer Helmet (my wife calls it that!) and try it again.
ORIGINAL: yb2normal

Nice video!

Surprisingly good results with just the stock whips.

You could always make one of those hardhats with the patch attached to the top so it was alway pointed at the plane. Then you wouldn't have to squirrel it away in one corner of the field, only to be stolen.

As an added benefit, nobody would bother the crazy guy with all those wires hanging off his hardhat

Bill
Old 07-28-2004, 07:50 PM
A10FLYR

That was good, thanks. Looking forward to seeing more.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Plane Insane
My Feedback: (4)

I'd like to see a photo of your completed helmet, Fubar1, when you get it all together.

Thanks for the video and information.

Are you using the 4 channel black widow receiver?