Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Help Needed With Decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Tomcat56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed With Decision

Well here's my problem.... i have an aerobird challenger and i want go up a step and i was thinking about aerobrid Xtreme. Now do you think that the Xtreme is a big step up (something that will keep me busy for a while) or are they similar and is there no point in getting the Xtreme
Old 05-29-2006, 01:54 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Help Needed With Decision

They are very similar, the novelty of the new "bigger and better" airplane will last for about one day and you will be ready to move up again.

Get something like a Glow trainer, more performance and flys much more like a real airplane than any Aerobird ever well. The hangar 9 ARF trainer, or the semisemetrical wing arrow with the evoloution 46 engines are very nice airplanes.

JettPilot
Old 05-29-2006, 05:10 PM
clolson
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll echo Jet Pilot sort of. I had fun with my Aerobird for a while and could fly it in the field behind my house rather than driving 5 miles to the club field which was a realy nice feature. But I got tired of it after a while. You turn the aerobird by jamming the controls full stop one way or another and waiting about 45 seconds for something to happen. The v-tail combined with those little moving surfaces yield a plane that just isn't all the manueverable. That's probably good for someone just learning, but get's old after a while.

Moving forward there are so many possibilities out there it's mind boggling. If you think you might like to try glow power someday, JetPilot's advice is good. Get a glow trainer, join a club, get some help from one of the club instructors and if you have some aerobird flying under your belt, you'll probably get up to speed quickly (but you will have to learn some things to safely fly a bigger, higher performance, more manueverable airplane, so don't try it alone, unless you like learning the hard way.) If you do try on your own, just do yourself a favor and bring a garbage bag with you to the field. :-)

There are a zillion electric powered options too. Electric power has gotten really good in the last few years and you can convert just about any glow plane to electric power and get similar performance and flight times, if not better than glow. However, once you get past the cheap low end stuff, electric power can get really pricey, really quick ... not saying that you can't spend a ton on glow/gas powered airplanes too.

Oh, and don't listen to your wife/girlfriend/mom/controling female interest. It's ok to have more than one plane, there are so many types and styles for all kinds of different flying and all of them are fun, fun, fun.

You might want to go visit a local club on a weekend or during a fly-in event. You'll probably see a lot of different neat airplanes that other guys are flying and perhaps one of them will jump out at you.

Curt.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:37 AM
viper1

ORIGINAL: clolson

Oh, and don't listen to your wife/girlfriend/mom/controling female interest. It's ok to have more than one plane, there are so many types and styles for all kinds of different flying and all of them are fun, fun, fun.

Curt.
ROFL LOLOLOLOLOL [sm=lol.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]