Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Lets see some high altitude videos!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 08:38 PM
aviatordave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lets see some high altitude videos!

I thought I had high vids...until I seen some of these, good job guys! Once I get my downlink...then the sky is the limit - Right?

Dave
Old 10-02-2006, 10:09 PM
rcrick00

Hey Guys. I don't know how high this is, but check out the size of the full scale plane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

Ricky

Old 10-03-2006, 01:20 AM
tonystott

Waiting for a post from Jettpilot defending flying R/C aircraft over fullsize flying aircraft at an airfield....
ORIGINAL: rcrick00

Hey Guys. I don't know how high this is, but check out the size of the full scale plane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

Ricky
Old 10-03-2006, 11:39 AM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: tonystott

Waiting for a post from Jettpilot defending flying R/C aircraft over fullsize flying aircraft at an airfield....
The difference between you and me Tony is that you are paranoid about everything. You have no ability to distinguish between what is a real danger and what is not... To you ANYTHING new is scarey and dangerous.

I have seen you trash people for wanting to drive an small electric RC car in a very quiet place by camera, there is no limit to your paranoia [sm=lol.gif]

Based on the laws of probability, If you say everything is dangerous all the time, sooner or later you are going to be right Flying an RC plane over a full scale airport is a really bad idea.

Just like anything we do, Flying by video can be done safely, or it can be done in a stupid manner. I would not fly over a full scale airport with my RC plane.

JettPilot
Old 10-03-2006, 01:15 PM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Tony,
In my earlier traveling days I've flown models at many small airports, with permission, and never had a close encounter with full scale, however, while flying full scale into those same airports I've had two, 2, close encounters with idiots flying full scale! Go figure
Old 10-03-2006, 06:56 PM
rcrick00

Ok, I figure my plane was at aprox. 400 ft. The full scale plane came in less than 30ft. My plane was not directly under the full scale plane. A full scale plane lands at that airport maybe once a week. I did not do it intentionally. This happened about 3 years ago. It has not happened since. Life is short. As long as I have permission to fly at my hometown airport I will. I am more careful now.

Ricky
Old 10-03-2006, 11:58 PM
JettPilot

RCRick

Im not trying to trash you, it was a cool video. If you have permission and there is no traffic at the airport, I dont see harm in it. Just be careful, and keep away from full scale traffic. I saw a grand total of 2 planes at that airport, you probably ok flying there if you kept an eye out for traffic.

My comments were more for everyone else. If we started saying it was ok to fly at airports, there are those that would be trying to fly RC at Atlanta or Chicago airports hahah, ok maybe not... But some would try to fly RC at general airports where there was a lot of traffic and something bad would happen.

There are many shared grass strips out there that both RC and full scale fly at.

Its all a matter of using good judgement. I enjoyed your video.

JettPilot
Old 10-04-2006, 12:28 PM
rcrick00

JettPilot, I was not saying that you were. Thanks for taking some of the heat off me. I have caught quite a bit of heat about the video, and it woke me up to the fact of just how easy it is for a real plane to slip in unnoticed. I just thought the video was interesting and wanted to share it.

Ricky

btw - the pilot of that plane also flys RC. He came out to watch me fly 20 min. after the video was taken. He said he never even saw my plane. Let him do some fpv flying. He thought is was cool.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:23 PM
kd7ost

http://media.putfile.com/Typical-Ag-Mission
Old 10-05-2006, 01:52 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting videos. Do you guys use an altimeter to check the plane's altitude?
Old 10-05-2006, 01:54 AM
JettPilot

I recognize that dry lake from previous videos and deadstick landings I wish I had a place like that to fly from... How did you switch between video and the camera ? Is it an electronic switch ?

Cool video Dan !

Old 10-05-2006, 05:55 AM
Mr.Pibb

OK, Dan, I gotta ask...what type of video equipment are you using? I couldn't see that well, but it appears that you were flying using VR glasses, right? Any links for the setup with the GPS/camera switching/video system?
Old 10-05-2006, 01:32 PM
kd7ost

Yep, that lake bed is 10 minutes south of me so it's a great place to test and fly from.

I did build an electronic switch that switches the video signal as well as a servo signal. The switch point is adjustable but has poor hysterisis. I use the signal going to my nose camera tilt to activate it. As I fly over the field I need a picture of, I tilt the nose camera. As soon as I'm nearly able to see vertical from the digital camera, I have the switching action take place. That way I can frame up the field and make sure I can get it all in. There is also a servo signal that gets switched at the same time. While the nose camera is on line, there is also a signal from a Basic Stamp microcontroller on line to my shutter activation servo. In fact you can hear periodic beeping in the back ground while I'm flying. That’s the Stamp generating a signal that moves the servo wheel far enough to get a first detent push at the camera shutter. I have the camera set so it makes the beeping noise when that happens. It's basically to watch dog the camera and ensure it doesn't go to sleep while I'm concentrating on getting over my field. The beeping is just to let me know it's happening and that the digital camera is still powered up and ready to go. Once the video switching takes place and I can see the digital camera view, a spare channel from my transmitter is now on line to allow me to activate the camera shutter and give me control over when the picture is taken.

You can tell the switching hysterisis is bad right around the switch point. It will rapidly toggle back and fourth between both camera views. I have to roll the knob for the camera tilt a little farther to get past that part. I don't find it an issue in my work though. The video is just to help me take the picture. The Digital picture is the real value.

I don't use VR glasses to fly with. I would in a hobby application and have played with some before. I use a LCD screen in my vehicle side door where I downlink to. I use a 600mw BWAV brown bag set up with a directional patch antenna. You can see the drop out's happen from time to time as I get to the edge of the antenna gain. I reach up and manually turn the antenna to re-aim it at the planes location.

I stay in tune with my surroundings as I take these Ag shots. Mitigating risk includes being aware of any full scale plane from miles away. I can easily hear them. I use a spotter to help keep an eye on things. My plane is rather large and is easy to see from the ground even when high up. I don't fly far away or leave the range of my RC system. Spatial awareness is an incredibly important part of what we do. A plane couldn’t get within 5 miles of me without me knowing it in the environment I work in.

The video was done as an example of how I can take off, get to altitude on a field, take a picture and be back on the ground in less than 5 minutes without even trying to dive back down. Leaving off a VR headset helps me to maintain situational awareness.

Here is a little more detail on a thread at a different forum.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571185

Dan
Old 10-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Mr.Pibb

Hopefully some day I can dig up some spare money to buy some better equipment....[sm=confused_smile.gif]

Until then, this is good enough...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...73892191&hl=en
Old 10-07-2006, 04:51 PM
JettPilot

Hahaha,

That was an inverted landing ! I did not know a firebird would go that high, did you just climb until you ran out of battery ?

Can you post some pictures of your setup, the TX and ground station ?

JettPilot
Old 10-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Mr.Pibb

I'll try to get a picture the next time I drag it all out.

I pretty much pushed the battery to cutoff. Plenty of power left to control it...except when the camera breaks up during the approach and I start drifting toward the trees! hehe, I have the pod mounted under the plane and the landing gear flexed a little too much and the camera was ripped off the bottom. (ok, maybe it was a hard landing ) The plane didn't flip, but I did re-break the tail that had been broken from a crash during a "learning" flight.

I'll probably be spending some time fixing my Stryker before I fly the wireless camera on the Freedom...I had a crash due to a bad battery connection. Now I see why people are replacing the mini tamiya connectors on those things. I nearly put the Stryker into a neigbors' roof but got control just long enough to get it going in the direction of a cemetary next to the neighborhood. How fitting...[sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 10-08-2006, 10:29 AM
JettPilot

Deans plugs work very well, only a couple of bucks, will take a lot of current, and do not fail