Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Blade CX Suitable for AP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:33 PM
techrtr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade CX Suitable for AP?

Hey Everyone,
Are RTF micro helis like the Blade CX suitable for AP either with a wireless video camera or very small digital camera?
Old 10-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Blade CX Suitable for AP?

I don't think so. A Blade fixed-pitch heli would be too unstable, in addition to not being able to lift a digital cam AND downlink AND extra batteries. If you were set on doing it though, I would at least get the collective pitch heli for more control and the ability to do autos when your battery dies unexpectedly
Old 10-09-2006, 06:37 AM
Seawolf 24

I do think so, but not so easily. Maybe the CX is a bit too small/light/low powered for the inevitable extra weight, although they can be quite stable as a coax. A stripped down digital vid camcorder, powered by your flight battery might be worth looking into. Lots of people are using the CVS, with a 1 to 2 oz. weight depending on how far you strip it down.

Duke
Old 10-09-2006, 04:50 PM
stevennh

I could not make mine work with a BW system (200mw tx and camera). I tried using the flight battery to power the tx/camera and it could not lift the mix for more than 1-2 seconds. I then tried a stand alone power supply for the camera (small ni-mh 4-cell pack) and it could not lift off with that either. My CP can carry the same setup, but not the CX.

Steve
Old 10-13-2006, 12:03 PM
snambo

It's not the most stable platform - and the CX is no heavy lifter - but it's possible !!! I used a Sunrich Technologies eDVR (weighs less than an ounce). Have a look see !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COm_ikLjjS4

It's not a great flight vid but I had a lot of fun doing it.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:33 PM
crazy kind of free

Not only is it possible with a CVS Camcorder..... Its been done!

Here is my CX vid. I removed the body, Fastened a modified and STRIPPED CVS camcorder to the rear of the heli frame, reverse elevator and aileron, and had some fun. Forward inputs now make the heli fly backwards in flight. The heli also ends up as a flying block, but it is very stable and easy to fly. If anyone wants more info.... just pm me! I average 8 min flight time with this set up.

PS The vid is a little shacky due to a broken tooth on the main gear. Future vids will be better!

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/uvideos.php?UID=3030&type=public]aerial vids[/link]
Old 01-27-2007, 08:37 AM
crazy kind of free

I almost forgot!

Here are some pics of my CX set-up and Blade CP Pro set-up.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28125.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	607485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86909.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	607486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65534.jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	607487  
Old 02-23-2007, 09:34 PM
weedhopr

I just got a wireless video camera/tv transmitter and receiver on e-bay. I mounted the camera, and 9 volt battery on the sides of my Blade CX2 helicopter. Worked OK, but is near the limit of the heli. I posted a video clip, about a minute long on You Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrNaaBZGxJw
Are there lighter options for the 9 volts required for the camera/transmitter than the standard 9 volt battery? The CX2 is powered by a 2 cell lipo battery pack.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Captain Randy
My Feedback: (1)

The perfect combination for the Blade CX is the edvr 5 in 1. I have seen them for sale between $50 and $150. It weighs less than an ounce and you can't even tell it is on the heli. It would probably be easier to do that then modify your camera, plus you don't have to fool with transmitting and receiving. It records 5 and a half minutes of 30fps video with sound. Just download it onto your computer when your done. Here is a video where I had it on mine:

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....bbc660d8f872d6
Old 02-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any domestic (i.e. non-uk) source for that little thing?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Captain Randy

This place says they don't sell them anymore, but sometimes this site will sell refurbished ones:

http://www.octave.com

This place sells them, but they are sold out right now:

http://www.e-flightline.com

This is where I got mine:

http://www.gorillabobsshack.com/catalog/

Old 02-27-2007, 02:46 PM
kheops

Looks like you CX2 got caught up pretty high in those trees [&o] Can yo provide some close up shots of how you mounted that camera? Are you able to change the mount position to have front or rear video?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:34 PM
crazy kind of free

ORIGINAL: kheops

Looks like you CX2 got caught up pretty high in those trees [&o] Can yo provide some close up shots of how you mounted that camera? Are you able to change the mount position to have front or rear video?

No problem friend! The camcorder is actually mounted to the rear of the heli. I reversed the the elevator and aileron controls on my transmitter so forward inputs flies the heli backwards. You can fly the camcorder in rear view by changing the controls back. here are some pics of my blade CX with the CVS mounted. I have not altered the heli in any way so I can return to stock in minutes. The camcorder is held to the upper rear body mount post by rubber bands. I put fuel tubbing over the posts to dampen the vibrations. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Take care
Josh

Old 02-27-2007, 06:38 PM
crazy kind of free

I am sorry. I thought you were refering to my last vid I posted on www.rcuvideos.com. Here is my link and have a nice day!

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/uvideos.php?UID=3030&type=public]aerial videos[/link]
Old 02-28-2007, 07:22 PM
kheops

So you guys really the EDVR 5in 1 is the best buy ? do you have the 128 or the 64?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:48 PM
healthyfatboy

I have a 5-in-1 coming (128MB) and I've heard nothing but good things about it. There's a really long thread on rcgroups about it
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...21745&page=159

I'm only on page 36 of 159 but every video I've seen has been really good and it weighs less than an ounce so it just tapes on the canopy of the CX and does a good job with the CX. The problem is finding them. I found a couple on eBay looking for 5-in-1 eDVR and also at gorillabobsshack.com Kind of expensive for the 128MB but it gets about 6 minutes of video as opposed to the 3 minutes for the 64 MB. Check out that thread. It is definitely helpful.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Captain Randy

I used three pieces of foam and stuck it between the bottom and the skids. You could point it in any direction. I have the 128MG. The other day I used masking tape and tapedit to the landing gear of my Extreme Flight Extra:

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....98674ba9d62c74

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65234.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	632028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65182.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	632029  
Old 03-04-2007, 08:50 AM
kheops

Ok, I got my EDVR and it's great!! only problem is I can only get it to record approx 20 sec worth of video (I don't know if it's the vibrations or what?) does anyone have similar problems?
Old 03-04-2007, 07:00 PM
healthyfatboy

I found this on the rcgroups forum. Maybe it will help. Others had problems with it not recording much and it had to do either with the files not getting deleted after transferring them to the computer or needing to reformat. I remember reading that you should reformat after every recording but I don't know about that. I'm still waiting for mine.

Here's how to reformat (post 377 from http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...21745&page=160) You'll have to find the exact page yourself since it's been a while. I just copied it for reference and left it on the computer.

"Hd is always displayed in the window when attached to a pc usb port...I guess it means - HardDisk.

Also....it always returns to the digital camera mode after a couple of seconds if left in an inactive state from any previous mode.....so after the video is halted....within a couple of seconds it returns to 'dc' mode and then the percentage available space is shown...in this case 99percent.

Ok so as far as your main problem is concerned have you tried reformatting the drive via the camera mode button?

Keep pressing the Mode button till Ft is displayed....then press the Snap button. Co will flash in the display and while it is flashing press the Snap button again. Ft will then flash in the display for a few seconds. Might be worth doing this prior to any video as I reckon these Fat16 formatted drives can get corrupted easily."

Hopefully that will fix your problem.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Captain Randy

This site does not even sell it anymore, but they have the best "How to" info with helpful videos and troubleshooting:

http://www.octave.com/cgi-bin/shop/s...html_mpsupport
Old 03-18-2007, 09:53 PM
kheops

thanks for this info, it seems to be working fine now without much change on my part other than placement... I'm thinking the vibrations and fasteners must have toggled the start/stop button.