Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

A begginers question.

Old 01-17-2003, 02:17 PM
AngelosCyprus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A begginers question.

Is it possible to attach a monitor to the rx and fly the plane without looking at it?
Old 01-18-2003, 07:31 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A begginers question.

Originally posted by AngelosCyprus
Is it possible to attach a monitor to the rx and fly the plane without looking at it?
Well, no.
You need something on the plane.. a camera and/or a telemetering device that reads the airplane performance parameters... which are transmitted to the ground..
In the case of the camera, this is relatively easy, there's hardware available that does this.
The telemetering requires computer processing of the data. Also available, but expensive.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:42 PM
AngelosCyprus

Thanks for the reply paul.

I was thinking this for a long time, having an onboard camera with an up link to a monitor in order to fly the plane by tje video feed . I think it would also have some delay to the video image ,i mean i would take the feed some seconds after it happens.
Thanks
Old 01-20-2003, 02:12 PM
Fastsky

Hi Angelos, What you are talking about has been done but it is not something that an inexperienced pilot should try. The transmission time is pretty much instantaneous so that isn't an issue.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:14 PM
N1EDM-RCU

I saw a photo of a guy who was wearing virtual-reality goggles and flying his plane. He had someone with a buddy-box standing by to take over in case the pilot got disoriented. I think that the buddy-box idea is a good backup.

Did anyone else see this? I can't remember where but if you rememember where you saw it, it could be interesting reading for this thread.

We've had a guy at our field who has a camera in his plane and records his flights on a VCR. Everything runs off of 12VDC, including the monitor. So, your idea isn't so far off. But, judging what I have seen while watching the monitor, it could be difficult to keep track of your position and orientation because you can't turn your head to look around for landmarks. Still, it could be an interesting experiment if someone else was standing by with that buddy box.

Bob
Old 01-23-2003, 09:20 PM
forus

I fly with an easy hook up videolink to my planes,both slopers end engined planes. When I started with this a couple of years ago I used a television and a video for viewing and recording. This is not practical,especially not when you are climbing norwegian mountains to fly gliders. Now I use my laptop as monitor and recorder. The converting of videosignals to the computer produces a delay so flying looking only at the screen is impossible. A small camcorder with videoinput will be my next option! The photo enclosed isn't very good. I shot it flying one of my combat wings. The camera is about 400 lines,but the converter using USB1 on the laptop is a weakness.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	49673_25176.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	29705  
Old 01-23-2003, 11:37 PM
jchuston

If you want to check something cool out...check this out

Cyber-Flyer

This guy has a really awesome setup and has had a lot of "first person view" flying.

You can email him for the password to the most recent 2002 files...

-John

ps...in the 2002 section he has video fom 24,000 ft.

NO KIDDING!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 12:46 AM
AngelosCyprus

I would like to thank all you guys for your info and sharing your experiences . Now i have the rush about aerial photo that i will equip a big trainer that i have with cameras e.t.c and i will check my ideas as i see that you only learn something by doing it and maybe one day i will have something to say like you guys.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:00 AM
AngelosCyprus

jchuston,
Nice page but too much electronics.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:12 PM
vtol_guy

huh, what? you all last me at goggles...
Old 02-08-2003, 01:33 AM
takeoff

THAT is some really groovy stuff! Being that I'm primarily a computer geek, this stuff kinda spins my propeller! The amount of financial resources necessary must be fairly considerable. wow. now, to attach a water balloon dropper and have fun at the soccer field!