Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

FPV Flying: Air to Air skirmish VIDEO!

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

FPV Flying: Air to Air skirmish VIDEO!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 03:47 PM
twinturbostang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FPV Flying: Air to Air skirmish VIDEO!

All the recent FPV activity reminded me that I never posted a link here to a FPV video I did about a month ago. This video was compiled for the Aerial Video contest over on the other RC site. The theme of the contest was "air to air". I didn't end up winning the contest, but I thought it was pretty cool anyways. Thought you guys might like to see it. It sure was a lot of fun putting together...

Click Me 37MB
Old 11-21-2006, 07:39 PM
ripper-911

Default RE: FPV Flying: Air to Air skirmish VIDEO!

That was superbly done! Very entertaining to watch. The SU27 looked like it had afterburners on in the video!

Regards,

Robert
Old 11-21-2006, 11:41 PM
twinturbostang

Thanks Robert! Yeah, I had a very difficult time keeping up with him. My good ol' E-Starter is not very fast. My buddy was flying about as slow as he could (just above stall), and I was at almost full throttle the whole time! lol
Old 11-22-2006, 01:04 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Cool video as always TwinTurbostang, and GREAT quality !!! What did you use to record it with ? Did you use Windows Movie Maker to edit it ? The quailty is just great for that size of file

I have never seen pictures of your E-Starter, can you post some ?

JettPilot
Old 11-22-2006, 01:41 PM
twinturbostang

I used a miniDV camcorder to record the downlink video. Then used Vegas 6.0 to do the video editing, and save to a raw .avi file. Then used Windows Media Encoder to do the encoding/compression. That seems to result in high quality videos. Of course the raw .avi file is still better. You can see more detail in the ground. BUT, it's about 1GB, so not really fit for internet distribution! I can vary the bit rate and resolution with Media Encoder. But the bit rate/resolution that I chose here (1Mbps, 480x360) seems to be the best "bang for the buck". The original resolution from the camcorder is 720x480.

I don't have any recent pictures of my E-Starter. Actually, I'm embarrassed to post any of it! It's my beater and has REALLY been through a lot. Multiple tail breaks, nose jobs, telephone pole to the wing (don't ask! LOL), etc. I learned how to fly on it, so it's been through the ringer. At some point I decided to convert it into an AV platform. However, it has grown heavier and heavier due to the added gear and repairs, and it just doesn't fly like it used to. So I just recently pulled all the video gear off the plane. I'm working on a couple new video platforms instead. One of which is my TwinStar II, which can carry lots of gear due to the 56" wing. And I'm also working on a scratch design 40" low wing pusher plane (similar to the EasyStar, but smaller). I prefer the smaller size planes because it allows me to pick up and fly from just about anywhere. The small size also makes it easier to transport.

I did find one pic of it though. Here's a pic of my E-Starter when it was still a "virgin".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82755.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	564958  
Old 11-23-2006, 03:00 AM
Riverman

Excellent video. I agree that the quality of the video was impressive but the flying was even more so.

Cheers!
Old 11-23-2006, 03:26 PM
twinturbostang

Thanks Riverman. I tell ya, it was NOT easy keeping him in frame. Very challenging, even though I was flying FPV. I highly recommend trying it though. It was a lot of fun!
Old 11-23-2006, 09:06 PM
W4UAV

I have to admit, I was banking in my chair while watching it, very well done TT!!!!!
Mike
Old 11-23-2006, 11:27 PM
twinturbostang

Sit a flight control joystick in front of your computer and then see what happens.

edit: Since you guys like it so much, I'm currently uploading a SUPER version... 720x480 resolution and 3Mbit. It's 108MB, so it will only be up for a couple of days so you don't kill my bandwidth. I'll post the link as soon as it's uploaded.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:22 AM
twinturbostang

Ok, here it is...

High Res ~105MB

If this killls my bandwidth, I'll have to pull it. So, Right Click - Save As
Old 11-24-2006, 10:58 AM
wjglynn

Great video! Thanks for taking the time to piece it together with music and captions. An effort not as trivial as one would think. I am impressed with the quality of the wireless stream.

Bill
Old 11-24-2006, 06:39 PM
twinturbostang

Hey Bill. Thanks for the compliments. Yes, it takes a long time to compile video together. As you can see, timing is everything when trying to get certain video segments precisely aligned with the music. The wireless link works really well with very little break-up of signal. And I was just using the standard 3dbi whip antennas, both on the plane and on the ground station. When I fly farther away from me, I switch to a patch antenna for the receiver.