Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

FAA and Commercial AP

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:00 AM
dklassen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAA and Commercial AP

Don’t know if you all have seen it but there has been some flap lately about the FAA’s clarification on commercial AP with R/C models. Some say we have been grounded, so a few of us got together and hired an Aviation Attorney to look into the matter. His response was very interesting. If you’d like to take a look, you can read the letter at.

http://aplanding.com/smf/index.php?topic=128.0

You’ll need to register as a member to view it but registration is quick an easy. AP Landing is a site dedicated strictly to Aerial Photography from R/C, full scale, Poles, Kites, etc.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:34 AM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FAA and Commercial AP

I hope they are working with the AMA and RCAPA http://www.rcapa.net/faa-info.htm
Old 02-28-2007, 11:43 AM
dklassen

They are not working with the AMA as the AMA is only for sport / hobby type activities. As far as the RCAPA, they have taken the stance that all commercial AP operators using radio controlled models have been grounded until further notice. Many including myself and the attorney do not believe this to be the case as per the letter. I guess it's up to the individual to decide on their current status if they are doing AP for hire. The RCAPA is working with the FAA in some form or another but have taken a pretty hard core stance at the moment telling member they can no longer legally fly. There seems to be great disagreement on that current status.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:45 PM
SAVS

Take my wife, kick my dog, even pour out my beer, but don't screw with my lively hood!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:48 PM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the "definition of commercial work" and what exactly "You charge for" I would HIGHLY suggest you visit the RCAPA forums.

They have been do AP a LOT longer than above site you listed and have WAY more members. It is a group of professionals.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:04 PM
dklassen

Couple things to keep in mind. We differ in that RCAPA is an association and APL is a resource that coves all aspects of AP. RCAPA has advised it's members that they have been grounded by the FAA which appears not really to be the case. We sought legal guidance. RCAPA just decided on their own what AP'ers legal rights were. I’m not putting down the association; I'm a member also and display their logo on my business AP site. You just need to make sure you have access to all the information that's out there.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:51 PM
groundparrot

ORIGINAL: SAVS

Take my wife, kick my dog, even pour out my beer, but don't screw with my lively hood!
My sentiments exactly!

Part 135 AP'er
Old 03-06-2007, 07:27 PM
justletmesearch

Do you guys suppose it has something to do with pressure from full size aircraft pilots that specialize in aerial photography and video?