Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

FlyCamOne2 and cold temperature problems

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

FlyCamOne2 and cold temperature problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:39 PM
barryp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FlyCamOne2 and cold temperature problems

I just started testing a FlyCamOne2 in the air and it stops recording after 1-2 minutes at temperatures of 10-30 degrees F. LCD display is blank when the plane lands. At room temperature it will record upwards of ten minutes (that's all I've tested). I'm using a fast SD card (Lexar 120X) so I don't think that's the problem. The distributor (Acme game company http://www.flycamone2.com/) doesn't indicate an operating temperature range. I've emailed their tech support but have not received any response. does anyone have experience with this?

First impressions are that this is a neat option for small to medium sized craft. Very light. reasonably good image quality in video mode. I haven't tested the still camera mode (1280x1024) yet. I have it mounted just behind the gear on a Mini Pulse - some visual interference from the prop, but not always.

I'll upload a single frame sample - let me know if you want me to email a video sample
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39142.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	842486  
Old 01-04-2008, 11:46 PM
barryp

Default RE: FlyCamOne2 and cold temperature problems

Quick update - Had received a very prompt response from support at FlyCamOne2 , but it was in my junk mail folder. Their response indicated an upcoming firmware update that would address cold temperature problems . . . we'll see. Here is what their tech support said:

Hi Barry,

I don´t have an answer for this. I´ve asked my boss, he told me that you should try it with the new update from www.flycamone2.com. He will put it online in one hour.

Best regards & a nice weekend

Tobias Pollmeier

ACME the game company
Industriestr. 10A

33397 Rietberg

Phone +49 (0)5244 9740 04
Fax +49 (0)5244 9740 48
E-Mail [email protected]
Url http://www.acme-online.de

Diese E-Mail und etwa anhängende Dateien enthalten vertrauliche Informationen und sind ausschließlich für den Adressaten bestimmt. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie uns hierüber bitte unter [email protected] oder unter der oben angegebenen Telefonnummer, und löschen Sie diese E-Mail einschließlich etwa angehängter Dateien aus Ihrem System. Bitte beachten Sie, dass die Weitergabe, Kopie und sonstige unautorisierte Nutzung der E-Mail und etwa angehängter Dateien verboten sind. Vielen Dank.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify [email protected] or contact him under the phone number specified above and delete this e-mail including attachments from your system. Please note that any unauthorised review, copying, disclosing or other use whatsoever are prohibited. Thank you.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:59 AM
barryp

Short video (compressed to 320x240 @12fps from original 640x480 25fps here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhGu141LbjQ
Old 01-05-2008, 05:09 PM
pipercub40

Hi Barry,
Maybe the temperature is affecting the Li-po battery? By the way how did you mount the FlyCamOne2 on the plane?
Old 01-06-2008, 03:37 AM
fmimages

I just received my "FlyCamOne ver2" the other day and if we get some blue sky around here I will make a test video. For comparison purposes with the Sony Net Cam that is also lightweight, I have a video match for YouTube. I know the FlyCamOne doesn't like the new HD SD cards but for less than $100.oo, I'll use standard SD. I am not expecting to sign on with ABC as a field cameraman but, I do like the painterly look of the images both video and still. It makes me an instant Van Goh with something smaller than a pack of gum. I won't use it for reading license plates though but for that artistic look it can't be beat.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:18 PM
barryp

Yes - it may well be a LiPo low temperature problem. In my vast amounts of spare time I will devise a mini-heater to run from the flight pack - or maybe just warm the thing up in advance and add an insulating jacket around it.

The camera is mounted on the plastic stand-off that came with it - and that is attached to a velcro pad affixed to the underside of the fuse between the landing gear and the wing L.E.

I plan to move the camera back to get less of the prop circle in the field of view - will have to move some weight forward to compensate.

btw, I am impressed with the autofocus - seems to work well for such a micro sized thing.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:22 PM
barryp

Looking forward to your tests fmimages - I'd like to know the ambient temperature when you do the tests - in relation to this low temperature issue. Did you say you have a comparison with the Sony Net Cam?
Old 01-06-2008, 06:16 PM
pipercub40

Same here I just purchase the FlyCamOne. I’m trying to figure out a way to mount it so you are looking at the wing tip and I could move the camera down and up. This way when I do a fly-by the camera is looking towards the pilot. Temperatures around here are a lot warmer.

By the way good video of your area.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Deyrick Gibbins

This is a known problem, the camera shuts down after a short while in cold temperatures. There is a thread on the Flycamone site forum about it.
Acme have posted a video taken supposedly at -13C but it only lasts 54 seconds and is made of multiple clips.

Del
Old 01-06-2008, 08:19 PM
barryp

Thank you Deyrick - I've browsed the FlyCamOne site forums, but most of the posts seem to be in German and I haven't found an English version or translation. I may very well try a thermal jacket or to draw heat off the motor and duct it into a jacket around the camera.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:01 AM
fmimages

First off I am a nitro hydroplaner and my biggest issues are water and more water, not so much the cold temperature. The other thing is why am I in this forum when I am not a pilot. Well there is no forum for video enthsiasists in the boating world.

On another note I have made some comparisons with these two cameras under the same lighting conditions and movement,etc.

I have noticed the FlyCamOne ver2 has a wavy effect when the camera is not in motion. That could be a response to some motion compensation built into the camera. It works well with a swish pan. It also seems to respond adequately with changing light conditions but since this is not summer I'll have to wait for blue sky and bright sun. I'm impressed with what it does for its weight and price, but by no means can I compare it to the Sony Net Cam model #NSC-CG1.

The FlyCamOne can easily fit on my hull without being too much of a weight or attachment problem. That is the selling point for me.
On the other hand if I want crystal clear images the Sony would be the ticket. The Sony would require a hull modification to ensure a secure attachment. It also weighs more which if you want to go fast and could be more easily damaged under full throttle.

I have a 2.4Ghz system that I'll stay with. I've looked into the LiPo batteries but just not sure if they can get wet. They weigh considerably less than a comparable NiMh or Alkaline setup but seem complicated to charge and recharge. There also seems to be more equipment support needed than a NiCad or NiMh and knowhow.

If I was to do it all over again I'd just get the Sony because it is so cool and the images look stunning with the right amount of light and its only $50.00 more than a FlyCamOne. Also I would get a higher resolution Sony micro camera and a Lipo for my 2.4Ghz system. But still I am packing weight, though it is in the bottom. The cameras for these 2.4Ghz systems weigh an ounce or less not including cables, transmitter, battery, and antenna, but they don't record. I have seen on eBay some micro DVR but there expensive and nobody bids on them.

Soon I'll get both on the water for a YouTube showdown, but I think I know which will win!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:33 AM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,

Having the same trouble. It stops after about 2 or three mins. temp was about 5C
I have the latest firmware. I think - how do I check?
Are there any confirmed answers to this.
BTW the lcd display is blank on landing.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:40 PM
barryp

The problem seems clearly to be the LiPo battery - it doesn't have the capacity to maintain necessary voltage at low temperatures. The solution is not too difficult since the camera requires 5V and has a mounting base with external power contacts. A simple tap from the BEC or Rx battery pack will power the FCO2. I'll be posting an explanation and how-to with photos within the next few days. Have had successful flight recordings of over 10 minutes at air temps of 15F/-9.5C
Old 01-24-2008, 07:40 PM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,

You are presumably talking about the internal battery?
There are input contacts on the base I aggree that could be utilised but there are many people that just want to fix the basic unit to the craft to save weight. An external supply, adds more complexity, but would solve my problem, although not theirs.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:05 PM
barryp

Here is a solution to cold temperature problems with the FlyCamOne2. Use the Rx batteries (glow-gas power) or power from your ESC-BEC (electric power) to power the FlyCamOne2. A simple tap made from two servo extensions will bring power to the FlyCamOne2 base. See the wiring diagram and photos. I've had 15 minute in flight videos at temperatures of -2C (28F)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-UALENHBOI
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26445.gif
Views:	14
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	882536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36520.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	882537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96505.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	882538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84834.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	882539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh56975.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	882540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb43981.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	882541  
Old 03-26-2008, 08:16 AM
Silber_Igel

Just got my Flycam! The SD card doesn't lock in to the camera!!![>:] Is there a trick to getting it to lock in place???
Old 03-26-2008, 08:56 AM
barryp

I had the same experience. The card has to be pushed deeper in to the camera body in order to lock or release. I use a small piece of thin ply as a "pusher" stick.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Silber_Igel

It's..... ALIVE!!!!!! Thanks Barry!!!!! This stuff is so light and fragile, I'd rather ask before I break it!!!

Cheers Mate!!! [8D]
Old 04-09-2008, 07:57 AM
K7SAM

Had the same cold temp problem with my FlyCamOne2.
Warmer weather has solved the problem for me.
Also, had a Lexar card, did not work at all. Would only record about 40% of what was going on. Was way to slow to capture the video and audio.
Put in a cheapy SD card from Impact and it works like a champ. Have three of them, all 2 Gig cards that I bought at a discount tire place, believe it or not and they all work perfect.
My more expensive Lexar card would not work, go figure.
Now that it is warm and sunny it is time to get some more aerial footage.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:11 PM
obrien008

Hi I have been looking for the safe operating temperature range of the FlayCamOne2. I am looking to use them in a weather balooning project. The cameras will be mounted inside of a insulated box but the internal temperature may reach -5C. I saw that others were having problems at this temperature. Can this be fixed by using the contacts on the baseplate to connect a higher capacity lipo battery? If the battery is not the issue what is? Was this issue solved with the new firmware update? Also what is th maximum sized card this can record to 2GB? 8GB? I appreciate your time and reponse, please let me know what you would recomend. Thanks alot
-Chris O'Brien