Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Still digging for more data... what's a good choice for radio system

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Still digging for more data... what's a good choice for radio system

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:57 PM
headhunter23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still digging for more data... what's a good choice for radio system

Just looking for a few recommendations on radios, it seems for really long range video you need to setup some sort of ham system. I'm not going that far, just looking for a decent 5-7 channel radio system that can hopefully reach >2km. I've pretty much read most of the threads in this forum but there doesn't seem to be a suggestion one way or the other. There are suggestions for adding patch antenna or some sort of spherical antenna to the plane to help it receive further. Seems there are a lot of people with spektrums but they also seem to interfere with video signals too... soo.

Thanks for those that reply.

Ivan.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:06 PM
headhunter23

Default RE: Still digging for more data... what's a good choice for radio system

Well still researching, seems to be between the futuba and spektrum. Here's a good question, where do I find line of site range comparisons of radio systems? I have been looking for hours now and there seems to be no sites on direct comparisons(there is on what they do but not in terms of performance). On top of that the manufacturers don't seem to list real specifications anywhere. Very frustrating.

Ivan.[:@]
Old 01-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Old Sloppy

Default RE: Still digging for more data... what's a good choice for radio system

more than 2 Km ?

How can you see the model from that distance ? more than 1.2427 miles ?

Maybe I am not converting KM to miles correctly ...

Harry
Old 01-16-2008, 06:24 PM
headhunter23

Well I seem to understand there is a lot of issues (and concerns) with going far distances (almost out of sight) and running by video only but this is what I'm really tasking my plane to do. What I really want out of my plane is to use it up in the north (pretty much nothing but trees so not worried about hitting anyone, if anything would more than likely lose plane if it goes down) to send it over bush to check out lakes way in the back for fishing.

Google earth has updated parts of the areas where I want to go fishing but there is still plenty of areas around Bancroft with hard to get at lakes and it would be preferable to send a scout out to take photos than realize it's a km of swamp to hit water. Also a neat thing I've noticed with google earth depending on how the area was scanned by satellite, it will show shallow areas and deep areas of the lakes and ponds.

Another reason I would like the distance is just to have a buffer, always nice to have more than you need.

Ivan