Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Need Still pictures from Video - How?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Need Still pictures from Video - How?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:27 PM
hemi4x4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Still pictures from Video - How?

Was wondering what is the best way/program to get pictures from my videos? I've been successful in getting pictures from WMP and Virtual Dub but am not impressed with the quality. Am I stuck here or does anyone know of a better way? I can record video at 640x480 with 30 fps so I hoped I could get some decent pictures from it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:36 PM
moogly

Default RE: Need Still pictures from Video - How?

I have grabed stills from video also but there not that great because video cameras are usually only at around .3-.6 meg pixals where a real still camera is @ 1.3 - 8 meg
so you don't get the best quality one I have found is to deinterlace the picture (frame) ether pick or or even and that will get rid of the lines if you don't already do that
and I dont what software you'r useing I usually use my Mac so if you on a PC see if your software will let you deinterlace the frame it helps but its not perfect
Old 01-25-2008, 11:08 PM
headhunter23

Pretty much as moogly stated, taking a still from a video will always look like garbage compared to a photograph. It's merely the way it works, video's don't need as much information per frame as compared to a photo.

Ivan.

*You would expect to get more replys by now, is this part of the forum dead?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:55 PM
wjglynn

Full motion video is captured at roughly 30 frames per second. That means that each frame represents 1/30th of a second. That is an incredibly slow shutterspeed when it comes to still images, hence the less than desired detail. So even if it is captured as high definition digital video a frame from a movie will never compare to a properly exposed still image.

Bill