Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Why not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:19 PM
HPIChadder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not?

Alright ive been reading things on this forum for some time now, watching videos and reading various things about this aerial hobby. The thing is, I race cars (real cars not r/c's) and it would be greta for a live in car camera!, Why would i not be able to use one of the aerial cameras? or can i? Someone please help me out here.
Thanks Guys!
Old 01-26-2008, 11:19 PM
dknovick

Default RE: Why not?

ORIGINAL: HPIChadder

Alright ive been reading things on this forum for some time now, watching videos and reading various things about this aerial hobby. The thing is, I race cars (real cars not r/c's) and it would be greta for a live in car camera!, Why would i not be able to use one of the aerial cameras? or can i? Someone please help me out here.
Thanks Guys!

You would. Think of them as wireless cameras (they aren't just for aerial photography).

Some things to consider:
What frequency to use for the transmitter (and what else is being used on the track).

Line of sight. When you go behind things (other cars, buildings, posts, railing on the track?), the signal may cut out or there may be a interference (so it's not a great picture).

The cameras work well for planes and such since they are up in the air, and there's very little between them and the receiver. But I've put these cameras on R/C cars and driven them around without any problem (just what I've mentioned above, poor signal sometimes)
Old 01-27-2008, 09:16 AM
HPIChadder

thank you, not many buildings but i think it may be an interesting thign to try. Whats the best camera?
Old 01-27-2008, 01:06 PM
dknovick

Whats the best camera?
The one that best suits your needs...

Do you want color, or black and white ( b&w will be more sensitive to low light conditions like at night)
Since this will be in a "full scale" car, you don't really need a tiny camera
And you could get a separate transmitter, so that you could use different cameras

You'll probably want a receiver where you can change the antenna (so that you try different ones).

Start with SuperCircuits (www.scx.com), to get a feel for what's available
Old 01-27-2008, 03:20 PM
HPIChadder

wow, your helping me a lot thank you so much!
Old 01-27-2008, 08:59 PM
dknovick

wow, your helping me a lot thank you so much!
No worries!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:10 AM
pblgml
My Feedback: (29)

Rather than get a small wireless camera get a small HD mini recorder an d then link the video out to a wireless transmitter and you will have a much better picture. Also get a high gain antenna for both the receiver and the transmitter.

Paul
Old 02-11-2008, 11:52 AM
danfarina44

Is live link DURING the race what your after? Or recording the race to view afterwards?

If not, it's easy to just build a home made camera mount and then you've got more $$$$ to invest in a good HD camera.

Just a thought.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:06 AM
JMSTECH

Yes if you want great quality definitely go with a direct record HD camera, or if wireless maybe go for a Intelligent Flight camera or a KX151 (light and compact) with a 900Mhz A/V TX & RX. Change the antenna on the TX to a rubber ducky one for better transmission. 900Mhz should be more ideal to handle multipathing from things like trees and buildings (to a point), compared to a 2.4Ghz set up. I was suppose to mount a camera and wireless set up on my buddy's Ducati, that would be fun, seeing the front tires spin and the bike carve around corners!!!!