Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Antenna choices for Video Transmitter 900 MHz

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Antenna choices for Video Transmitter 900 MHz

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Sikorzky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna choices for Video Transmitter 900 MHz

Hi Experts,
I like so many others am just getting into the FPV thing and jumping in head first. I purchased the typical 500mW 900MHz transmitter from rangevideo. I didn't notice the transmitter came with an antenna so I bought one from hyperlink tech. The image below shows from left to right, the transmitter, included antenna, and the hyperlink antenna. Rangevideo says their antenna has a 3dB gain. The hyperlink antenna is also a 3dB gain. The hyperlink antenna is much bigger and much heavier, and yes it has metal running the entire length (I can hear it rattle at the tip). Does anybody know if I should use the heavier antenna? Should I assume bigger is better? Is it possible they are both 3dB? Can anyone suggest an antenna that would provide the best performance with this transmitter (I guess I mean best range)?
Thanks!
Dave

link to the hyperlink antenna:
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/900...antenna_sm.php
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53200.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	897432  
Old 03-08-2008, 01:22 AM
moogly

Default RE: Antenna choices for Video Transmitter 900 MHz

use the smaller one there both set for 900MHz so it wont matter as long as they are both 3dB gain anntenas size don't matter it the HZ it set for. The lower the HZ the longer or bigger antenna. Higher HZs will use shorter antennas Ie 2.4GHz are real short

Old 03-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Sikorzky

Default RE: Antenna choices for Video Transmitter 900 MHz

This big antenna is a true diploe antenna, although I am not sure what that ultimately means in performance. If it means it will broadcast a stronger signal, then it would be the better choice. does anybody know what I can expect using a dipole antenna vs using the little non-dipole antenna?