Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Putting real video camera on twinstar, question about props

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Putting real video camera on twinstar, question about props

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 05:02 PM
headhunter23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting real video camera on twinstar, question about props

Hello, am looking at changing motor for twinstar, that I'm not worried about, just wondering which way to go. Larger prop or smaller prop? Which would be better to reduce vibration sent to the video camera?

I am thinking a balanced low rpm 9" prop versus high speed 5" prop, but I could be wrong. Need some opinons.

Thanks in advance.

Ivan.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:36 AM
JMSTECH

Default RE: Putting real video camera on twinstar, question about props

Ivan...

I used these motors ( http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=4185 ) along with APC 7X5 sport props like these ( http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3736 ) She was very steady and had enough power at hand to really pull out of a bad situation.
See video of my Twinstar (the one with the red nose and CF camera pod) in action from last spring: http://www.vimeo.com/448699

Just a few suggestions before you proceed, put the ESC on the wings because the EMI really screws up your video TX signal and the place the video TX on the fuse in front of the tail.... best transmission there!!!
Old 03-29-2008, 04:09 PM
headhunter23

I guess I'll have to mess with placement a bit before final decision, thanks for the tips. Still kinda didn't answer question though, which would you go with to reduce vibration, if everything was balanced I'm sure either would work the same, but still if a touch out of alignment, which would you really feel more vibrating the craft? I can see both ways how vibration would affect the plane, smaller prop and faster would make quick small vibrations but large prop and slow, may actually make larger more noticibly vibrations.

My hypothesis correct?

Ivan.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:12 AM
JMSTECH

Sorry Ivan...
I couldn't answer that question but that set up I have didn't give any troubles at all in terms of vibration. And yes vibration will transfer to video in video waves but again, I never had an issue with that. Place the gear like I mentioned and you stand a good chance of getting positive results. Good luck buddy on your TS! She can really haul weight like a Gecko GPS, OSD, two cameras with TX. REALLY!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:50 PM
JMSTECH

Ivan... finally got a chance to test out this Intelligent Flight Camera.(one of 4 items I am going to test out) I had this thing sitting around for a month because of crappy weather here on the coast. Anyhow flew under some windy conditions but still had fun!
So this Sony 420TVL CCD is the only one I know of that has on the fly adjustments.. pretty cool! Also the quality is very impressive!!! I can't wait to try this under sunny conditions. Oh yeah it's capable of night usage as well If you are trying to find this camera right now at Intelligent Flight, they haven't updated their web page yet. But email them http://www.vimeo.com/847800
Old 04-03-2008, 07:53 PM
headhunter23

I had gotten the night one off range video... sony 191? Anxious to try it, just haven't been able to yet. Contemplating about putting it on zaggy that I have in a box but then theres 4 hours plus screwing around with camera. Any word on the long range stuff?

Ivan.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 PM
JMSTECH

Actually Ivan I haven't heard any news on the 900mhz long range stuff yet but it is all laid out on CAD. Right now the boys are working on something very cool now and have ordered the components to put it all together. That's all I can say for now because I get watched everywhere I go buy my buddies competition.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:17 AM
headhunter23

Ahhh... well hopefully by next year.

Ivan.