Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Mini Camcorder eDVR question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:35 AM
pcs2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Camcorder eDVR question

Hi - I am looking at two mini camcorders to use on my slow stick. Both look about the same as far as video quality.
Both can be viewed at rcrecorder. One is the 5 in 1 ST LAB camera and the other is called a Mini Camcorder eDVR and uses an SD card.

I have read a great review of the 5 in 1 ST LAB unit (DansData); very helpful. Does anyone have experience with the Mini Camcorder? The Mini Camcorder seems to be smaller and thinner.

Thanks,
Pete

Old 05-14-2008, 10:25 PM
akouzmit

Default RE: Mini Camcorder eDVR question

I am using 5-in-1 and here is one video clip:

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/FVX86NFW7N6420TB
Old 07-22-2008, 12:37 PM
jpjamie

I have been using an Aiptek camcorder with some success. Make sure you get a model with a rechargeable lithium battery, because it saves on weight. The annoying issue with these cameras is that they will shut off when the LCD door is closed (LCD viewer) toward the camera body. You can continue to video with the LCD "closed" against the camera body with LCD facing outward, however the door will sometimes (depending on the model) will not latch properly.
If you're handy, you can open up the LCD door and remove a small magnet with a pair of pliers. This magnet is sensed by the camera board when the LCD door is closed and shuts off the power. I was able to do this and as a result can record video with the LCD closed and latched against the camera body. I am not sure ALL Aiptek SD card camcorders have this "problem" because I had an earlier one that would record with the LCD closed and latched against the camera body. Why the new ones don't do this is anyone's guess, but nobody would want the LCD closed during video recording because there is no viewfinder.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:32 PM
akouzmit

I start using Panasonic camcorder (some video below) and I am using trick to record with close LCD (this camcorder doesn't support 180 degree LCD rotation).

The trick is to open LCD and push record button, then I can close LCD completely and camera continue recording with closed LCD. You may try this on your Aiptek camera as well.

At list for me I realised this trick prior I took skrewdriver :-) to remove magnet senser. Taking in account I paid 280 for the camera it looks as wise decission do not toutch camera guts :-).

The video quality is very good from this camera if postprocessed for DVD format. Unfortunately you can see the quality at the link below as heavy compression is killing my effort to come up with good video output.

Please, take a look here:

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/RCZVNZKQHYTBF19M

Thanks,
Andrew.