Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Non-Digital Camera for AP

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Non-Digital Camera for AP

With all of todays Digital Technology, I may be using ancient tech, but I have a Kodak PAS that uses the Advantix film with Auto Advance. Can anyone provide me with things to consider in terms of mounting/using this camera for AP? My eventual aircraft/setup will be just for fun, not business, and will be a large glo powered pusher type model.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Grampaw

Default RE: Non-Digital Camera for AP

TJR, it took me a few minutes to figure out what PAS meant. I had never heard of a Kodak PAS camera but I finally got it. OK, now what I did when I wound up with a spare 35mm Auto camera a few years back (before digital)
may spur you on, and give you a few hints. My daughter, at the time was a Nurse in the Air Force in Germany. She called saying she was having troyble with her camera, and had bought a new one at the Base Post Exchange. I told her to send the old one to me. From her description the basic camera features, such as exposures and film wind and Auto Focus were still operative, and that was all I needed to stick in an RC model.

I had one of the old RCM Funster models that had suffered a crash, and I was rebuilding it as a high winger as the wing and tail pieces were still in good shape. When the camera arrived I built the cabin section to hold an insulated box to mount the camera in. I mounted a servo on top and rigged an arm onto the output control arm that trigged the shutter release. That fed off the Retract Switch on the TX. Flip the Retract Switch and the camera would fire, but I had to hit the Retract back to "Raise" before the arm would raise up off the shutter button. At that point the Auto Film Wind kicked in. This was a Canon "50" Snappy 35mm Auto camera, and weighed 8oz, but the old Funster "Mark 2"
handled it just fine, and the best part, it all worked like a jewel.

I placed the camera sitting upright in the cabin right under the wing. It had a little "down look'" on it too. In flight if I wanted a specific photo I'd launch the plane and go stand in the "target" area and fly one or two circuits around me to get oriented. Once I was ready, I'd throttle back and come around for a shot. When I was ready I'd throttle back to Idle, to lessen engine vibration, then drop the Left Wingtip a little and once it was pointed at me I'd hit the Retract Switch and take the shot. It took me a few tries to get the proper plane attitude and throttle timing to get good shots. After the film was ready for processing I't take it to a Film Lab that would process and print the roll for me on a Glossy Surface paper. This surface is better for Scanning onto the computer for printing, as the usual Mat Surface most labs print on will mess up the shaprness of the Scan. I have some photos around somewhere and if I can find them I will post them for you to see.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Tango Juliet

Default RE: Non-Digital Camera for AP

I guess I should have clarified that PAS was Point And Shoot, sorry. I've seen similar photos of what you've described, but I always like seeing the pictures of how other people do things (I'm a visual learner). When you find the time, I'd like to see what you did. Thanks for your reply.