Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Uh Oh New Rangevideo OSD and Autopilot System

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Uh Oh New Rangevideo OSD and Autopilot System

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:56 PM
TramStop45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh Oh New Rangevideo OSD and Autopilot System

OMG It's So coool, gotta have one [>:].

Check out the link here http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=135

$300 [:@], i guess it will have to wait []
Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 PM
xb36

Default RE: Uh Oh New Rangevideo OSD and Autopilot System

ORIGINAL: TramStop45

OMG It's So coool, gotta have one [>:].

Check out the link here http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=135

$300 [:@], i guess it will have to wait []

TS,

You're right this is rather cool.

I am building a 114" electric B-36 and I have been considering adding in flight video capabilities. For the last couple of hours I have reviewd a few options. What the vendors have in common is that their products are modular which is probably a good thing for anyone with in flight video experience. However I have no in flight experience so I have been going through links like the one you posted to see if one of this video vendor has a package that makes it easy but I haven't seen it yet. When I saw the $300 price tag in your post I thought that sounded appealling but when I tried to piece together a complete video system with a camera, a video transmitter, the OSD module, and a receiver, and the other parts, the price easily hit $1000. You commented $300, I guess it will have to wait. At $300 I wouldn't hesitate. At $1000 it may never happen for me. I guess I thought that a vendor would offer a module or package that converts a plane without video to a plane with video and lists a price to do so. On a positive note I must admit that I liked the way the camera could be turned side to side, and up or down.

I apologize if it sounds like I am complaining on your thread. I just don't think in flight video will be popular when the in flight vido cost is more than the plane that is carrying it.

I didn't add to your post to call attention to my B-36, but.... if you have an interest you can see the build thread on RCU in the RC Scale Planes forum. I have a lot of room to add a video camera to the nose of the plane or put it below the fuselage in the radar pod that is just behind the nose gear.

I will continue on my quest to find affordable in flight video capabilities. I agree with you, "it's so coool"

Mike Roerig
[email protected]

Old 06-17-2008, 11:21 PM
JMSTECH

meh... welcome to RC hobby where we get nickeled and dimed to death. If one are to be interested into flying with video gear... then be prepared to pay the price, other wise be very patient my friend.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:00 AM
xb36

It seems like nickel and dime when the customer has the duty of putting together a system. That should be the job of the vendor. After all, who knows the product better than the vendor?

Well, I must admit that I was a bit too quick with posting my initial thoughts about in flight video. It appears that my $1000 estimate was a bit high.

I continued looking through the in flight video systems that I could find and it didn't take long before I had a serious case of information overload.

The most interesting item I ran across so far was the autopilot that TramsStop45 noted. It sounds interesting. It knows where you took off from. If I understand the product correctly, if you lose RC signal it will slowly turn your plane around and fly it back towards you. I did disagree with one aspect of it though. It suggested a slight decline in altitude as it came back towards you. I think that it should be user programmable. Consider that the plane is flying blind. It doesn't know about trees, power lines, or anything else tall. If possible, would program it to seek level flight at 200ft altitude above the flying field. If they can do that and keep the cost in line, this would be very popular. Others might have a different opinion so making it programmable would be ideal.

I stated in my earlier post that I am still building my B-36. I haven't built a scratch plane before so I don't know how much longer it will be until I am finished. So I don't have to make a video choice right now. I have started to put together a chart that compares the in flight video options, price, weight, etc.

I will post the information on RCU. It will be a review from the eyes of a newcomer to in flight video. It shouldn't take too long to put together.

Mike Roerig
[email protected]