Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

shoulda stayed home

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:41 PM
headhunter23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shoulda stayed home

Flew easystar today, crappy gusts, really crappy.[:@] Just been anxious to fly, but weather has not been co-operating for a week now. Anyways was flying fpv and all of a sudden I'm upside down. Managed to flip over and started flying back. Then damn thing rolled back upside down, was too low at that point as I was trying to get back. Anyways landed upside down. Surprisingly no issues, camera popped off etc and completely covered in mud. Still works, man these things are tuff (thumbs up for range video)

Any of you guys have gusts catch the wing and flipped over? First time for me, have flown in worse I think but stayed more into wind than flying around. Starting to think I will have to convert easystar with ailerons..

Ivan. .
Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 PM
JMSTECH

Default RE: shoulda stayed home

Bummer dude but good thing it wasn't serious! How about extending the rudder and elevator just a tad. Stock size is horrible by just looking at it! I tried the aileron thing before but make sure you do not make the same mistake as I did. Make your Rons out of balsa and NEVER reuse the foam cut out from the wing to make your ailerons.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27830.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	978540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67038.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	978541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76235.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	978542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39193.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	978543  
Old 06-26-2008, 09:42 AM
headhunter23

Dude your plane is looking good! I like the hatch idea, had occured to me to do that but was thinking of doing it on the side. Why is it ya can't reuse the foam for the ailerons? I'm assuming you could providing you angle cut them? I just thought the whole incident was wierd as I've never had it completely roll over on me without the ailerons and just the rudder and elevator.

Ivan.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:36 PM
JMSTECH

You know since my last FPV EZ* (Last year) , I found myself continuing to make improved changes and just before the end of her life, she weighed God who knows how much from excess glue. Also she looked like Frankenstein with all the repair marks. So that's is why the hatch Besides why the bottom? Well Multiplex already made a indentation there so it looked to me it was meant to be and better to hide any hatches as much as possible for esthetics's reasons. So as it stands all my gear is very accessible for me to swap out for needed improved changes!

Now as for my re-used foam ailerons (on old plane) ... well they were not stiff enough and it was very difficult to keep them straight when putting it all back together with hinges, so they never worked that great at the start. It flexed too much, causing sloppy response with a surface that didn't matched 100% to the main wing... not up to my standards. Use balsa like VRFLyer and get a positive result from the start. When I'm ready to get back into carving up my EZ*, I will use balsa for sure!!!