Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Antenna's

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Pontiac_40
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna's

I got the 800mW wireless video system from China, for the most part it works. I tried to get some aerial video but there was a lot of discoloration in the video (orange) at the bottom of the screen and also the video was wavey. Anyone have any inputs?

Also I would like to get some feedback on antennas, how can I upgrade the stock antennas on the Rx and Tx system. The Tx on the system has like a wire type antenna which I think can be improved.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

This si what the system looks like:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	81234_7860.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	47888  
Old 05-25-2003, 02:30 PM
Pontiac_40

Default Picture of the Tx

Here is a Pic of the Tx:

Name:	81235_7860.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	47889  
Old 05-25-2003, 02:34 PM
Pontiac_40

Default Correction

I meant Rx (reciever) in the above Pic.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:57 AM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

Default Antenna's

Be careful, I had that same tx reprogram one of my digital servo's!!! 180° out
Old 05-26-2003, 01:31 PM
billmi

Default Antenna's

The orange discoleration may be light leakage somewhere in the lens mount assembly getting light to the chip (assuming it's a CMOS). The waviness of the image is most likely an artifact of vibration - insulating the camera more from its mounts should help with that.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:20 PM
Pontiac_40

Default Tx

Thanks for the responce.

A10FLYR, did you use the stock Tx antenn? How were you results?

billmi, you are right about vibrations, I need to build some isolation in the camera mount.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:08 PM
yb2normal

Default Antenna's

The wavy lines and the discoloration are both typical of cmos cameras. Or rather I should say that wavy lines are how a cmos camera reacts to vibration. If you are able to replace your camera, change to a CCD camera.

The Panasonic CX161 is an excellent choice. It is very small and very good quality. Lots of people use it for aerial video.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 05-26-2003, 10:05 PM
A10FLYR

Default Antenna's

P_40,
Bill is right about the color and wavey lines. I get the lines with my Sony videocam when I don't have it mounted right. I some times stuff too much foam around it in the box. Throttle settings make a difference also. I haven't tried the camera and tx in the air because of the reprograming problem. I have to change servo's first before I will trust it in the air! Bill, do I have to mailorder a 2000 battery from you or can I stop by and pick it up? I was going to pick one up at the Radio Shack on S. Broadway but I see they ain't there no mo. I'm going to use it in my *weedwacker*.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:33 PM
yb2normal

Default Antenna's

Hi Dean,

Sorry, braincramp on my part... a "2000 battery"?

Maybe a different 'Bill'?

Stop by anytime, I'm always looking for flying partners

Bill
Old 05-27-2003, 12:41 AM
A10FLYR

Default Antenna's

Originally posted by yb2normal
Hi Dean,

Sorry, braincramp on my part... a "2000 battery"?

Maybe a different 'Bill'?

Stop by anytime, I'm always looking for flying partners

Bill
Black Widow Bill?
Old 05-27-2003, 06:53 PM
Pontiac_40

Default Camcorder Camera

Has anyone tried, removing the camera and board out of a camcorder and using it with a on-board Tx?
Old 05-27-2003, 08:51 PM
Fubar-One

Default Antenna's

I got the 800mW wireless video system from China, for the most part it works. I tried to get some aerial video but there was a lot of discoloration in the video (orange) at the bottom of the screen and also the video was wavey. Anyone have any inputs?
The color problem can be due to glare. My first video system had the bottom half of the screen pretty much all purple. When I bought the 800mw system I mounted the camera in a "hood" so that the camera was at least an inch recessed into the hood. That got rid of the color problem. The wavy lines are due to engine vibration shaking the hell out of the transmitter and camera. You need to shock mount the system somehow such as wrapping it in foam. The Tx will be difficult to mount because wrapping it in foam will allow it to overheat. Mount it on a heatsink then foam mount that to wherever you plan to mount it. You need to isolate it from the vibrations but airflow is important. The camera is more critical but you can bury that sucker in foam.
The antenna that comes with the system is tuned for that frequency so I would leave that alone. What you CAN do, however, is get a good length of PVC pipe and mount the rx to the top of it. Im using a 5' length right now for sloping because its what I had in the shop, but I plan to go up to 10' eventually. 1.2ghz does not like looking thru bodies, trees, tables, you name it so getting the rx above it all works well. Just make your video and power cables longer to reach. I use the supplied video cable with a splitter on the end and split it to both the monitor and video camera.
Slope flying doesnt cause much in the way of vibrations so I havent had to deal with that yet. I have a $400 system that I am mounting on a Kadet Sr so I figure I will have to deal with it then.
Here is a link to my website containing the video I shot using the 800mw system:
http://fubar1.freeservers.com/RC/Movies/Movies.html
You want the Wireless Video one. Enclosed is also a pic of my system mounted on one of my slope gliders.
I hope this helps!

Name:	81829_29664.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	47890  
Old 05-28-2003, 04:16 PM
yb2normal

Default Antenna's

Originally posted by A10FLYR
Black Widow Bill?