Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

black widow av transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 04:33 PM
vtbeech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black widow av transmitter

i am on a design team competing in an unmanned aerial vehicle contest. I am trying to transmit video 100 meters and was thinking about using the black widow AV 2.4 Ghz transmitter and receiver set. I wanted to get some of the range specifications of it and if anyone has used it in one of their flights? Also, what kind of video output is on the receiver, ie rca, usb, ethernet, etc?
Old 10-24-2008, 01:59 AM
JMSTECH

Default RE: black widow av transmitter

I've put my plane as far as 2500 meters with a 14dbi patch (on the RX) using a Lawmate 500mW 2.4 Ghz TX, which is essentially the same thing as Black Widow's set up (could of easily gone further). The out put of the TX is rca with a built in 5 volt regulator on the power in. Most us us chop the rca connectors off because of weight and solder a Futaba style connector in place. But be sure to to keep the input power to 5 volts on their 50 to 500mW systems. Their 1W is ok with 12 volts and you will bet better range. (example Jettpilot uses Lawmate 1W and easily gets 15 miles of video range.)

JMSTECH
Old 10-24-2008, 06:52 PM
vtbeech

wow, these are very lightweight i forgot to mention that it needs to be 100m inside a building. I think that the 1W may work. I see that they have a 1.2GHz version also, which may have better transmission through walls. Do you know if this is legal band to operate without a license in the US? Also, what kind of micro cameras do you recommend?
Old 10-25-2008, 11:35 PM
JMSTECH

I think 1.2Ghz may be a legal band if you have a HAM licence. 900Mhz on channel one is legal and it too handles multipathing very well. Anyhow you asked about the 2.4Ghz As for your camera, if you wish to go with low voltage such as 5 volts.. go with a KX131 and if you wish to go with something that will handle low lighting situations, then Intelligent Flight Camera or other name is KX171. It has a low lux rating and I tested that outside my deck in the middle of the night! Pretty darn good!!!

BTW.. here is a KX131 with the Lawmate 2.4 Ghz TX
http://vimeo.com/1002901?pg=embed&sec=1002901
Most enjoyable video!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 05:08 PM
vtbeech

Ok, yea the 1.2 Ghz is not allowed due to FCC regulations. I am still unsure of the 1W 2.4 GHz because i am not sure if 1W output power is greater than the max power output for FCC regulations. I am going to order one of the transmitters soon, they are really light weight for the power! Thanks for your help, also did you order from www.fpvsystems.com? Check out the servo camera on the site. I dont know how you control the servos, tho. I might need to move the camera at least in the y-direction. I checked out the video, were you in Germany?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:42 AM
wjglynn

I am using the 200Mw version of the BWAV system. My plane operates out several hundred yards and performs satisfactorily as long as one stays within the gain envelopes of the antennas. If you maintain line of sight, keep the antennas appropriately oriented, and are within a couple hundred yards I believe it will work just fine.

Bill
Old 10-30-2008, 10:34 PM
JMSTECH

Well if you really want to stick to the rules, then buy a ready to use no hassle with FCC etc set up from Hobby Lobby. Their FPV Pilot View is totally with in the rules and no problems since they did their homework. It consist of a 10mW A/V tx attached to a I.F. Camera, A/V RX a pair of omni directional antennas and a FPV approved video goggles which is 600X480VGA simulating a 80" monitor.

As for the pan and tilt, I simply made my own with some aluminum which I bought at Home Depot. One piece which I cut out 2 arms then folded them so it would fit over a servo (camera tilt). Then I would epoxy that servo over another servo (camera pan). Real easy to do and most importantly it's light weight. I basically copied a RC-Tech.ch P/T system

The camera pan servo is a hack job where I opened up a Hitech SH81 servo and carved out the stop notch on the top part of the servo lid. The potentiometer, I carefully pulled out the three wire and soldered a 1/8 watt 1 to 2K ohm resistor (the servos vary so you have to test and try) in between each of the three wires which at the end will give you one cheap 180 degree turning servo.

Gave you a little more info than you need but hey... you might end up asking anyways
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39422.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1062624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22544.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	1062625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17729.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	69.4 KB