Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Hey, on a mission to the upper troposphere, need your help.

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Hey, on a mission to the upper troposphere, need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 02:28 AM
PENGUINBLASTER!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey, on a mission to the upper troposphere, need your help.

How's it look? I want to use a Spektrum radio system (2.4ghz) will it interfere with my 2.4ghz video system?

Also, thinking about platforms, will a 450 heli haul this crap up into no man's land and be able to auto down? should I go with an overpowered easystar or something?

3 miles is 15,000 feet, do you think if it's straight up my range will improve?

EDIT: don't pay attention to the relay, that's for something else.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:51 AM
downunderdog

Default RE: Hey, on a mission to the upper troposphere, need your help.

From what I understand from reading about it (I've never tried), you don't want to mix 2.4 gig video gear with 2.4 gig radio control gear. Although it's supposed to be interference free, having the transmitter on the airplane puts it too close to the RX and the transmitted video being sent causes loss of control.

I've heard that 900 Mhz video gear has better range anyway (but less quality?).
Old 12-01-2008, 01:30 PM
PENGUINBLASTER!!!

Yes, heard that... I'll need a amplifier for the control TX (dx7) too http://www.hyperlinktech.com/productfamily.aspx?id=376

Will this work?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: PENGUINBLASTER!!!

Also, thinking about platforms, will a 450 heli haul this crap up into no man's land and be able to auto down? .............
Have you seen how a 450 sized helicopter autos? How do you think it's going to auto with that much weight? Go here: [link]http://runryder.com/helicopter/f25p1/[/link] and search for videos of big gasser AP helis having to do emergency autos. It is not pretty.

Being a CD for the AMA here in the US, I cannot encourage this type of flying. I just point out the problem points and tell you that it might not be a good idea.

Rafael
Old 12-01-2008, 06:07 PM
PENGUINBLASTER!!!

I would just let the blades autorotate as the heli descends to keep it stable and save power, the landing would be in a powered flight mode.

Not in favor of a 450 though... might see what kind of ceiling a powered glider would have...
Old 12-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: PENGUINBLASTER!!!

I would just let the blades autorotate as the heli descends to keep it stable and save power, the landing would be in a powered flight mode.

You obviously have not seen an overloaded helicopter come down in an auto... Take a video of your first try, I'd like to see it.

Rafael
Old 12-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Streetwize

2.4 bird and video will interfere with each other.

Planes are much easier flying FPV. 450's will not auto. If you've never flown a helicopter before you'd better get a simulator and fly for a few hundred hours before even trying FPV.

15,000' is 15 times higher than your TX will reach.

Hobby aircraft are not supposed to fly above 400'. Any higher and you're in full scale aircraft territory, You'll be dealing with the FAA. Balloons have gone that high but you need permission to release them with equipment attached.

Troy

Old 12-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: Streetwize

Hobby aircraft are not supposed to fly above 400'. Any higher and you're in full scale aircraft territory, You'll be dealing with the FAA. Balloons have gone that high but you need permission to release them with equipment attached.

Troy

Read the info block on the left of each of his posts. He claims he's in Afganistan. No FAA, AMA or bureocracy to deal with. At least not like here.

Rafael
Old 12-02-2008, 01:46 AM
PENGUINBLASTER!!!

I've been flying an align 450 for 6 months now, I own a sim. I can hover in all directions and fly in FF, not much 3d, can roll and loop.

I understand the difficulty in flying helis in FPV... That's why I'm considering a plane instead. http://www.dynaflite.com/reviews/dyfa4502-rcr.html I was thinking a powered glider would be efficient and it's large wing span would provide lift at high altitudes.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:54 AM
kwjmdss

So, if I want to use 2.4 equipment for the video... is 72mhz my only reasonably priced option for command and control? Is there any other spread spectrum gear that operated at any other frequency?

ORIGINAL: downunderdog

From what I understand from reading about it (I've never tried), you don't want to mix 2.4 gig video gear with 2.4 gig radio control gear. Although it's supposed to be interference free, having the transmitter on the airplane puts it too close to the RX and the transmitted video being sent causes loss of control.

I've heard that 900 Mhz video gear has better range anyway (but less quality?).
Old 12-06-2008, 10:49 PM
patrickegan

There are other radios you can use. Are you at Bag?