Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Dedicated Video AP Cameras Under $200

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Dedicated Video AP Cameras Under $200

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:52 AM
dabesq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dedicated Video AP Cameras Under $200

I know lots of people have adapted a wide variety of regular cameras and camcorders for use in AP, but I was wondering are there any cameras specifically designed for video AP costing no more than $200 besides the FlyCamOne2? Thanks! dabesq
Old 04-11-2009, 12:22 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Dedicated Video AP Cameras Under $200

I think there are various helmet cameras, and other 'action cameras' intended for rugged outdoor use, but most of them tend to be limited by the VGA 640x480 video at 30 frames/sec - or often less resolution or lower frame rate. I have a Flip Mino HD (about $210) which uses 1280x720 at 30 fps and seems to produce some pretty good stuff, and I plan to mount it on a trainer soon and see how good the video is. There are a few other small HD (i.e. 720p) cameras out there as well, like the Kodak ZI6 and the Vado HD, as well as others.

If you look at all the aerial video on YouTube and elsewhere, it all seems to suffer from the same problems:

- Most RC planes (i.e. pilots) are constantly changing direction, yawing and rolling, making the picture hard to concentrate on
- Resolution is inadequate, making objects on the ground indistinct. On the other hand, a lower frame rate would probably be OK.
- The cameras available do not adapt (quickly) to changing light conditions as the plane turns through varying levels of illumination.
- The relatively simple nature of the cameras used (lens, CCD's) produce cartoonish or washed-out colors.
- It does not seem that these cameras have any real image stabilization, which makes the rapidly-changing image even less enjoyable.

I expect that a new wave of HD cameras will soon be out at bargain prices. Alternatively, you could use a cheap 'Prosumer' HDV camera mounted on a large plane like a Senior Telemaster, which would solve the resolution, changing illumination, color, and image stabilization issues somewhat.

On the other hand, I know nothing, just thoughts IMHO. Hope it helps...Chris
Old 04-11-2009, 04:32 PM
dabesq

Default RE: Dedicated Video AP Cameras Under $200

Thanks for the great information! Sounds like the FCO2 might be it as far as specifically designed for AP video Everything else seems to involve adapting regular cameras to mount on a plane. Before I do that, I was just wondering if I was missing some other model. Best, dabesq