Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Sony webbie anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:50 PM
CostaRica1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sony webbie anyone?

The size and weight seem to be right even for medium helis or planes (3.3 o)...is HD with swivel lens, the reviews seem a little mixed but could be interesting for RC...Anyone using it?
Old 05-26-2009, 03:49 PM
SON OF PALEFACE
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Sony webbie anyone?

got a link ???
Old 05-26-2009, 04:16 PM
CostaRica1

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...09cams_yahsrch
Old 05-26-2009, 04:22 PM
cschwie

You bet:

http://www.vimeo.com/4726732

The mixed reviews result from it's poor indoor, or low light, performance. Which is true but doesn't really apply to our hobby unless you want to fly at night.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:00 PM
CostaRica1

That's a very nice video...wonder how handle the vibrations with an helicopter.....
Old 05-26-2009, 05:45 PM
2thDr

I have been using a Sony Webbie for about a month now.

So far, I am NOTimpressed.

Reasons:

1) The video lacks contrast. It is almost like looking through a gray filter. The colors are not vibrant.
2) There is no image stabilization. It will record the slightest movements of your hand or vibrations of your aircraft, and being HD, it's very noticeable.
3) The outputfile is not compatible with Deshaker, you will need to covert your video to another format first (which is fine, as you will also need to add contrast anyway.)
4) It does not handle low light conditions well.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:22 PM
CostaRica1

The video from Cschwie is impressive...Talk about mixed opinions.....Is there other cam out there that you can recommend around the 3 oz range?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:29 PM
cschwie

1) The video lacks contrast. It is almost like looking through a gray filter. The colors are not vibrant.
2) There is no image stabilization. It will record the slightest movements of your hand or vibrations of your aircraft, and being HD, it's very noticeable.
3) The outputfile is not compatible with Deshaker, you will need to covert your video to another format first (which is fine, as you will also need to add contrast anyway.)
4) It does not handle low light conditions well.
Ilike the generic mp4 format; primarily because it's not the proprietary Apple mov format. There must be a program for post processing but Idon't know since I don't do any. The shake is noticeable but no different from another FPV camera. I intentionally flew smoothly for the linked video because people were asking about its abilities. At altitude the flight was smooth but around the ground the wind was gusting. I've posted other videos from the Webbie on Vimeo.
Its image quality can't compete with a standard camcorder but I'm hooked on using it for FPV.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:59 PM
CostaRica1

All your videos are made with the webbie? Do you think it'll do a good work with an heli like the Blade 400?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:28 PM
cschwie

No. The Webbie just started selling and I started flying with it in May 2009. Previously Iused the KX-171 and other similar cameras and recorded the live stream.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 PM
320pilot

Here are some pictures of the Sony Webbie on my Eflite Ascent 450. I attached it (with velcro) to a polyethelene strip, attached above the wing.
Video looks very good, in bright sunlight. Of course, I am shooting through the prop, so I climb as high as possible (where I can still see the sailplane), then shut motor off. This allows prop to fold back.

Only problem, is the prorietory AVC MPEG4 video, at 1440x1080 will only burn to a Standard Def. DVD, using the included Sony PMB (picture motion browser) software. I can burn AVC Hi Def DVDs, shot with my SONY Sd-11 (1920x1080i) hard drive camcorder, using Sony PMB, but video from Webbie Cam cannot be burned to a HiDef AVCHDdisc. Too bad. I also tried to burn a Hi Def Blue Ray disc, using Sony Vegas Pro, 8.0. I could import the MPEG4 video file into Sony Vegas Pro, but couldn't burn a Blue Raydisc from the timeline.

Anyway, with the included composite connectors, pluggedinto my Sony LCD1920X1080 display, video looks great, very sharp. The same video file, burned to a Blue Ray disc would look evenbetter.An HDMIconnection on the camera would help, too, better than composite. It's too bad the Sony PMD software will only burn a Standard Def DVD, from the Webbie Cam. You lose a lot of detail, dumbing down the image.

320pilot
ps, regarding 2thDr, I thought the image stabilization works very well, on my sailplane. Quality is much better than the FlyCamOne2 I had before. Of course, on my Trex 500 there may be more vibration.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10696.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1210489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90115.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1210490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43727.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1210491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71048.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1210492  
Old 06-02-2009, 07:37 AM
320pilot

Cschwie,
Your video on Vimeo is great! How high were you flying? Did you use a spotter with binoculars? One thing I noticed is that the video is very stable, except when you start a banked turned.
The AVC codec is a variable bit rate; ie as the complexity and changing nature of the image changes, the bit-rate changes.
I just wondered if your video became "choppy" during your turns, on the original footage in the Webbie Cam, or just when you uploaded your clip to the vimeo website.
If your video was choppy, in turns with the original footage, you might need a faster ie. high speed Memory Speed PRO duo flash card.

This might be the problem for for 2thDr too. If your video with the Sony Webbie cam is choppy (and mine is smootheven when I fly a loop with my Ascent) the problem might be a slow speed Memory Stick card. My video is very stable, even in steep banks on a sailplane. I will try and upload a clip to Vimeo soon.

Here is the SanDisk flash card I am using now in my Webbie Cam. A 4GB card for only $29.00

http://www.jr.com/sandisk/pe/SAD_SDMSPD4096A/

320pilot
ps.Cschwie: I just watched your second video on Vimeo (the one that locks up!) I didn't realize you are flying with a FPV setup, and video goggles. WOW. Could you list all the components you used in this setup? I think the Sony Webbie Cam would be great for FPV, if you can transmit video in real time to ground based video goggles!
Old 06-02-2009, 01:05 PM
2thDr

ORIGINAL: 320pilot

320pilot
ps, regarding 2thDr, I thought the image stabilization works very well, on my sailplane. Quality is much better than the FlyCamOne2 I had before. Of course, on my Trex 500 there may be more vibration.

What image stabilization? I don't see anywhere in the manual or on the box where it claims that the Webbie camera uses "Steadyshot" image stabilization like other Sony camcorders do.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:13 PM
CostaRica1

Well, I have shooted a few videos and look great, only issue is the waiving effect (with a Blade 400), so far I am very pleased with the webbie.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:10 PM
320pilot

2thDr,
You are right, the Webbie Cam does not have image stabilization. All the same, the video I shot, with my Ascent looks great. Still trying to upload the video clip to Vimeo.

320pilot
Old 06-02-2009, 07:38 PM
2thDr

I would like to try out this HD camcorder........it has image stabilization and it records to an SDmemory card.....

http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/produ...th1/index.html

They also have a version that shoots 1080 resolution at 60 fps (also with image stabilization).
Old 06-03-2009, 09:03 AM
CostaRica1

Looks good but that's three times the weight of the webbie, could be an issue for medium planes or helis.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:14 PM
cschwie

ORIGINAL: 320pilot
I just wondered if your video became "choppy" during your turns, on the original footage in the Webbie Cam, or just when you uploaded your clip to the vimeo website.
If your video was choppy, in turns with the original footage, you might need a faster ie. high speed Memory Speed PRO duo flash card.

ps.Cschwie: I just watched your second video on Vimeo (the one that locks up!) I didn't realize you are flying with a FPV setup, and video goggles. WOW. Could you list all the components you used in this setup? I think the Sony Webbie Cam would be great for FPV, if you can transmit video in real time to ground based video goggles!
Hi 320,
Thank you for the feedback. The video as played from the Webbie onto a TV isn't choppy. However, Ican't compare it to the Vimeo video since my computer doesn't have the video processing power for HDand the video is VERY choppy. The MP4 is fine at my work (but Ican't use Vimeo there). Perhaps this is what you're experiencing. Can you view other HDvideo on your computer? I'm using a memory speed PRO duo flash card but I've also picked up an adaptor for use with an SDHC card. Perhaps you can download the raw file from Vimeo as Ithink it's straight from the camera.

For FPV I'm using . . . 1 watt Lawmate 2.4 GHz a/v TX with pigtail, 2 Lawmate RX with dipole antennas, Oracle diversity, Headplay goggles, and Eagle Tree OSD. The system was vastly improved just by switching to the Sony Webbie versus the typical security cameras. Now remote flying is much more enjoyable with a good image.

I don't get back here often so sorry if I reply late or not at all.