Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Business or no business?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:11 PM
rwagner24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Business or no business?

Hi guys I am also new to the rc ap world. I have been flying rc helis for about 8 years. Last year I stumbled on airfoilhelicam.com by accident and have had a intrest in ap ever since. I now have a Trex 600E with a airfoil Mini Pro One mount. I am using Canon's new Power Shot SX1IS camera. I would really like to start doing this on the side for people to have pictures of their homes and maybe get hooked up with a realtor and do some pics for them. My understanding is the FAA considers it illegal but isn't enforcing anything yet. Please give me some feedback (good or bad) what is the safest way to do this. I was thinking of advertising as a "low level aerial photography service" may also consider adding a mast setup to the equipment list. I have a friend thats a firefighter that is intrested in a complete gas setup to put a FLIR system on for search and rescue. Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:22 AM
_kyle_

Default RE: Business or no business?

That sounds like a great idea. I wish I had some advice for the details of the business, but I would definitely say try it on a small scale. Maybe first you could just go very local with people you know who are selling or maybe ask somebody who is selling a house if you could take pictures for practice? Then you could take those images and feedback to a realtor or something. That sounds like a lot of fun. I'm not sure about the legal aspects either. Thats kind of a bummer. I feel like nobody would bother you about it.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suggest you ask the same question here:

[link]http://runryder.com/helicopter/f25p1/?top=1246471999[/link]

Rafael
Old 07-01-2009, 02:19 PM
rwagner24

I kind of did ask it there and it's funny, all the people already doing it and making money at it said it too risky and should just forget it for awhile. Strange huh. Anyway no one replied to this thread for two months until you guys (thanks) so I already am getting started. I have a registered business name, a business checking account, bought a domain name and business email and just got business cards. Hopfully over the weekend I will get my website up and running. I even bought liaibility insurance. I have the Trex setup and just a 18' pole. Have been looking at telescoping masts, man are they expensive. Best deal I have found so far is a 60' for $1775. Thanks for the replies I appreciate it!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rwagner24

I kind of did ask it there and it's funny, all the people already doing it and making money at it said it too risky and should just forget it for awhile.
Well, the FAA is really cracking down on UAS operations, and when an RCer crosses that line, makes more ammo for their fight to try to control all remotely controlled aircraft, including the ones considered a hobby. So I really understand where they are coming from. I am waiting to see what develops. I have an RCAPA number, but that is about it. I don't even have a rig yet.

Anyway no one replied to this thread for two months until you guys (thanks) so I already am getting started.
I should have looked at that, did not notice it.

I have a registered business name, a business checking account, bought a domain name and business email and just got business cards. Hopfully over the weekend I will get my website up and running. I even bought liaibility insurance. I have the Trex setup and just a 18' pole. Have been looking at telescoping masts, man are they expensive. Best deal I have found so far is a 60' for $1775. Thanks for the replies I appreciate it!!!
Good for you. The best part is that you already have liability insurance, that seems to be the worse hurdle that some people had to jump. Some were not even able to get insurance.

Good luck, and please be careful. You don't want the FAA's attention, and definitely I don't want you spoiling it for the rest of us.

Rafael