Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

FlyCamOne2 Camera shutting off in flight ?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

FlyCamOne2 Camera shutting off in flight ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 04:47 PM
mustangman177

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FlyCamOne2 Camera shutting off in flight ?

Why does this camera shut off in flight ? Am using a 2 gb Sandisk card, could it be the card ? Is there a better memory card that would not do this ?

Thanks

Cary
Old 07-12-2009, 12:15 AM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: FlyCamOne2 Camera shutting off in flight ?

It's probably the battery. Mine did not last very long at all. You can get a new one for $10+ from Hobby-Lobby, or apparently you can run the camera from an external power supply whilst on your plane. Info about this is elsewhere on RCU.

Hope this helps...Chris
Old 07-12-2009, 07:19 AM
mustangman177

Thanks Chris for the reply. I've read many posts concerning the issues concerning the Flycamone2 and its "limited" battery power. This is probably my issue. The first flight video does last 1-2 minutes, then intermittent chopping in and out of videos.

A few other questions................

I have the optional tilt camera lens assembly. There seems to be alot of "chatter" coming from the motor that runs the tilt lens. I have "end point adjustment" on my radio, so I do not have too much throw put in that would cause this. Seems to happen any time the lens is moved. Could this be causing interference in the video quality ? Also I notice some "twitching" of the other servos at times, especially the throttle servo. Thinking the chatter is affecting other servos as well. Thinking about disconnecting this option and see if video quality improves as well as the "twitching servo" action.

Will look at the optional battery pack solution at Hobby Lobby. How about this as a possible solution to the battery problem

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/flycamone..._7296_prd1.htm

Does seem a little $$$ though.

The other battery pack listed for $10., is it the same as what's already in the camera ? http://www.hobby-lobby.com/flycamone...18490_prd1.htm

Have you downloaded the upgrade to the camera ? I haven't yet. I believe the latest version is 4.01, with 2 different downloads depending on the "logo" behind the lens. Mine has the hour glass like figure on it. If you did download this upgrade, did it improve video and photo quality ? or what advantages does it provide ?

Thanks for your help

Cary
Old 12-07-2009, 08:27 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/fco2_with...QueryId=323811

I ordered, I saw, was disgusted, it's cheesy, fragile, and immediately the battery issues were apparent, so I requested an RMA from Hobby Lobby, and the so called customer service rep took 4 days to reply, giving me an RPM number. BUT 15% restocking fee was a bit of a surprise, when they don't mention it anywhere on the site, and hobbypeople and Tower hobbies doesn't do it. I'll get $68.00 back after spending $102.00 with shipping both ways. I'll never buy a hobby lobby product again. I'm filing a dispute with my credit card, see how that goes. Anything to make my 15% restocking fee work for me!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:34 AM
mustangman177

Agreed !!!!! I too sent mine back for service, thinking I had a bad camera. They replaced mine with another one (which worked). I too was told if i wanted a refund there would be a 15% restocking fee !!! Not wanting to lose the money, I took the replacement camera.

I get about 3-4 8 minute recording from the camera before the battery shuts off the camera. True-the resolution and picture quality is medium to poor. Does do best on sunny days. Guess you get what you pay for.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:03 AM
fmimages

I had the same problem. got a new battery and away it went.

Here is the proof http://www.vimeo.com/7847391

Follow their instructions and re-solder if you have one of the earlier version.

PS.
I know that the video and audio quality is poor but I have been able to get about 23 minutes out of it when the battery is good. I think the new hobbyKing camera will give the camera a run for the money. It has better audio sync and runs at a true 30fps frame rate for a smoother picture and it has a much lower price.