Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

New to this,need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:43 PM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this,need advice

I am new to this and don't quite know all the abbreviatons and such but maybe some-one here can tell me what I need to get started. I want to put a camera in my Electra(2-meter electric powered glider). I am in process of up-grading the power system to brushless with lipos so I find my-self very light in the nose. Not in to putting a lot of lead or dead weight I thought maybe I could add a camera system. Something I have always wanted to do. But what I would like is to be able to link the camera to a lap-top or veiw screen on the ground. I figure the guys at the field would enjoy this and something my dad has talked about for years. So what I need is some-one who knows what I need, manufactures and may-be some idea of the prices? Thanks
Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 PM
juanes1969

Default RE: New to this,need advice

try readymaderc.com
they have all you need and Tim is very helpfull.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Wing It

Default RE: New to this,need advice

James,
A few acronyms:
FPV - First Person View(pilot perspective)You fly your plane by watching the image on your monitor. Video goggles are best for piloting. Add a monitor and recorder for others to watch.
I use a hooded 9" monitor myself.

AUW - All Up Weight (ready to fly)
Try these links:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-3-SONY-CCTV-Su...efaultDomain_0 -I use a similar cam with mods.Great resolution.
Your 2m Electra would be a great platform for FPV.
If you want, I can post pics of my set-up and give you all the details of the wiring etc.
FPV is not only fun and gives you a different perspective for piloting, but can result in weird virtual reality experiences. For example, it's really strange when you are "in" your plane flying a landing approach and you see yourself on the ground (looking at a monitor or video goggles) ignoring the plane your are flying in. Does that make any sense? It's worse when you see it yourself.
Warning: this is addictive crazy fun stuff.