Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Spiral slip Stream is it real ?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Spiral slip Stream is it real ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spiral slip Stream is it real ?

ORIGINAL: drac1

ORIGINAL: MTK

That's exactly what i was going to say Matt. You are spot on.

While there would be some spiraling of airflow as it comes directly off the prop, by the time it travells down the nose and over the wing (which would act like vanes and straighten the airflow), by the time it reaches the tail i can't see how the airflow would be still spiralling. Just as with contra rotating, how can the airflow be straight? The rear prop would still spiral the airflow albeit in the opposite direction. I think that torque is the biggest cause which is being confused with spiralling airflow. That's why contras don't need right thrust, props turning in the opposite direction cancel out the torque effect not spiralling airflow.
Of course this is just my opinion as i see it.
Actually, there are more than one torque generators in a propeller driven model. One, the actual crankshaft motion. Two, the propeller turning. Props have mass and are turning in the direction of the crankshaft in most cases. These two tork effects are additive. Three, the simple action of pulling in and throwing back air;; air is massive and it requires considerable force to pull in and throw back in a spira manner. That also has tork components that add to the other two plus it has the precession factor that adds to the overall reactive force of rotation.

A contra cancels out a large portion of the tork and P forces attributed to the props. Motor or engine tork is still there.

Relax, crankshaft tork is relatively minor in models. Although the larger IMAC models can take advantage enough of crankshaft/prop tork to do real tork rolls (meaning aileron unassisted) at idle or a hair above. At idle, there is very little reactive tork from pulling in and throwingback air (or precession for that matter). Nowhere near as easy to do one of them Real Tork Rolls with a 2 meter Pattern model or smaller.

BTW- I do believe that the spiralling air coming from the prop is massive enough (meaning, carries force) far enough down the fuses of most models to cause significant trimming issues. I'm not sure if I mentioned it here (too lazy to go back and read my scribbles), but one experiment I have done is to add cannards immediately behind the prop. With the engine typical offset (right thrust), the model went right, following the thrust vector.

I have not reset the offset to zero and try the cannardexperiment again, but it is an experiment begging to be done. If it works as expected, cannards immediately behind the prop of a 2 meter pattern model can be a poor man's contra prop. I will do the experiment but will report in the Pattern column.....
Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmh

anybody want to trade a spiral prop flow for a pair of downwind turns?
I'll throw in a high lift , no drag wing -
I have a bucket of prop wash.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK let's talk-
Old 03-22-2013, 01:52 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: Quikturn

This has been discussed in another thread so I thought I would copy and paste it here.

RE: Is left yaw induced by fore or aft force? - 10/16/2012

This is an interesting thread and I'd like to add to it by listing and talking about the 5 left turning tendencies in single engine airplanes.

1. P-Factor - is the asymmetrical thrust produced by the propeller. Every airplane needs some positive angle of attack (AOA) in order to fly and this AOA (angle of the wing vs relative wind that the airplane flies in) gives the propeller blade on the downstroke a higher AOA that the propeller blade on the upstroke. Since the propeller turns clockwise as seen from behind more thrust is produced on the right side causing the airplane to turn left. P-factor is pronounced at high AOA, low speed and high power settings. I doubt there is much p-factor during a perfectly vertical climb because AOA is minimal and gravity is at the tail. However, if you're at full power and pulling vertical you'll likely have p-factor.

A couple of questions.
1. How does the AOA of the wing change the AOA of the prop? (the AOA on the prop blade is the pitch).
2. How can the downward prop blade have a different AOA (pitch) than the upward blade?

Old 03-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Quikturn

drac1, first imagine the airflow as a perfectly horizontal component. Next, hold an airplane or even a propeller with a pencil through it at about a 45 degree angle (pitch up). Look at the propeller from each side and compare blade angles compared to the horizontal airflow. You will notice the propeller on the downstroke has a larger bite (higher AOA) and the propeller on the upstroke has a smaller (than normal) AOA.

If you have a flight sim you can play with this by practicing low/slow flybys. I like the P-51 with flaps lowered. During slow flight you need a touch of right rudder to keep the airplane flying straight. If you don't use rudder the airplane will want to veer off to the left or you could roll to the right slightly. As you add power you will need to increase right rudder to keep the airplane fling straight.

Now, how much is due to P-Factor and/or spiraling slipstream? Who knows, who cares. All you need to know is that right rudder is needed during slow (high AOA) flight.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:43 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Quikturn

drac1, first imagine the airflow as a perfectly horizontal component. Next, hold an airplane or even a propeller with a pencil through it at about a 45 degree angle (pitch up). Look at the propeller from each side and compare blade angles compared to the horizontal airflow. You will notice the propeller on the downstroke has a larger bite (higher AOA) and the propeller on the upstroke has a smaller (than normal) AOA.

If you have a flight sim you can play with this by practicing low/slow flybys. I like the P-51 with flaps lowered. During slow flight you need a touch of right rudder to keep the airplane flying straight. If you don't use rudder the airplane will want to veer off to the left or you could roll to the right slightly. As you add power you will need to increase right rudder to keep the airplane fling straight.

Now, how much is due to P-Factor and/or spiraling slipstream? Who knows, who cares. All you need to know is that right rudder is needed during slow (high AOA) flight.

Hope this helps.
NOOOOO.....REALLY??

I'll see your bucketopropwash and raise you a bucketofbovinescat
Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Quikturn

Hey MTK, are you being a troll?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:01 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just about everything's been said, for those who want to review the thread. 

For the rest, talk amongst yerselves.  [:@]
Old 03-23-2013, 03:36 AM
drac1

Hope this helps.
Hi Quikturn,

While performing a high alpha 3D manouvre when the aeroplane is not moving forward very much, i can see how the AOA of the prop blades would be different left side to right in relation to airflow. But when the plane is moving forward during normal flight, wouldn't the airflow be flowing directly down the airframes thrust line, making the left and right side blades AOA pretty much equal?

I have a Hangar 9 P 47 with a DA 50. On a slow fly by with full flaps and the Dunlops dangling, the aeroplane tracks straight down the strip with no rudder input. Even when accelerating i have not noticed the need for rudder input.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:18 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: drac1
I have a Hangar 9 P 47 with a DA 50. On a slow fly by with full flaps and the Dunlops dangling, the aeroplane tracks straight down the strip with no rudder input.

Remember when you mounted that engine on the firewall? If I remember correctly, all my H9 warbirds had downthrust and right thrust designed into the firewall.

There are usually more details than one or two to most aerodynamic conundrums very often.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:36 AM
eddieC

While performing a high alpha 3D manouvre when the aeroplane is not moving forward very much, i can see how the AOA of the prop blades would be different left side to right in relation to airflow. But when the plane is moving forward during normal flight, wouldn't the airflow be flowing directly down the airframes thrust line, making the left and right side blades AOA pretty much equal?

Only in straight-and-level flight is the prop AOA equal. In even a shallow climb, there is a left-turn/yaw tendency with conventional props due to 'asymmetric disc loading'. The opposite is true in a descent; it becomes a right-turn/yaw.  This is true in model and full-size aircraft. 
Part of the problem is our models are so over-powered, and the control surfaces are so over-sized, we can correct without realizing it. Go to a pattern-flying thread and read about how they dial-in a plane against all these forces. 
Many full-size planes have offset vertical fins, and right/down thrust to counteract these forces so that, at cruise speed, no left/right trim is needed. At slower or faster speeds, the pilot is expected to compensate manually. 
Old 03-24-2013, 06:46 AM
da Rock

Often times, when a plane is in straight and level flight, the prop will not be perpendicular to the line of flight. It would depend on the lift needed, the AOA of the wing to provide that, and the AOI designed into the plane. It would also depend on the thrust line of the engine.

Sorry if this seems like irrelevant prattle, but I needed a test message and wanted to make one that did in fact apply to the point in question.

Consider that small thrust angles are sufficient for their purpose. They often exist in designs, yet are so subtle are hard to see. Or they are like those used in the Grumman F6F.

So too are rudder/fin offsets as used on the Me109s.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:43 PM
MTK

Day Rock, why are you not reciprocating your good deeds
Old 03-24-2013, 06:44 PM
MTK

Hey MTK, are you being a troll?
What a freeken jerk....BUT Day Rock is gonna remove this one too
Old 03-25-2013, 07:28 AM
MTK

DaCRock, you might want to remove this one. Regardless, I'm dunn with your nonsense
Old 03-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Quikturn

ORIGINAL: MTK

DaCRock, you might want to remove this one. Regardless, I'm dunn with your nonsense

Damn dude. You sure know how to make friends. We were intertwining aviation humor with the thread topic and you start insulting people.

It's called a JOKE!

You should go out and get a sense of humor. And while you're at it, get me another roll of flight line.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 AM
da Rock

People, this slip stream discussion has gone around in circles a few times now. That's often the case on the internet.

Please don't lose patience with the discussion you don't agree with. Nobody wins when things get personal. When you have something for just one other member, perhaps you should think about whether or not it's appropriate to the topic, is appropriate to say to someone face-to-face, and especially if it's within the RCUniverse rules.

When you discover you're writing a post TO another member, or especially ABOUT another member, think twice about what you've written before hitting that OK button. Chances are good your post is offtopic. There's also a good chance it's against RCU rules.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:16 PM
eddieC

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45155.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1866506  
Old 03-26-2013, 05:36 AM
ARUP

EddieC... you crack me up in a spiral slipstream kind of way! That horse will get up if you put a little 'English' on that swing!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:01 AM
Lownverted

Some evidence: http://www.lr.tudelft.nl/fileadmin/F...1046_Final.pdf
Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 AM
Quikturn

Some more evidence. Notice more soot on the right wing?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65635.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1866758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28745.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1866759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr26425.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1866760  
Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

More posts deleted....

I'll echo DaRock's post above to suggest that if some of you don't want to play nice then please find another thread. SOME folks want to actually discuss this stuff and do it in a reasonably serious manner. If you tend to think that it's pointless or flogging a dead horse then just move along to some other topic. For some folks this is all new and interesting.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 PM
drac1

Some more evidence. Notice more soot on the right wing?
I can see how there would be more soot on the right wing, but wouldn't the wing act as stator and stop the airflow from spirallingfrom the wing back?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:24 PM
eddieC

I can see how there would be more soot on the right wing, but wouldn't the wing act as stator and stop the airflow from spirallingfrom the wing back? 

Somewhat, but the soot in the exhaust flow diffuses such that it spreads all over. 

I had a rather odd job assigned years ago in a Piper Cheyenne II twin turboprop. A local sign company wanted to test their new design of wind-resistant signs and mounts, the kind used outside gas stations. They wanted to put the signs behind the plane and video the results at different speeds. This involved lots of time at idle with the props at zero thrust during their setup, then they would stand aside and I would bring the power up in stages. 
The signs performed very well and, at the end of 2 days' testing, they wanted maximum power tests. We rarely do full-power runups for many reasons, but I was surprised that the Cheyenne would hop over all 3 standard wood chocks. We called for large rubber airliner chocks and they did the trick. We generated wind speeds of just over 200 mph that day, with the signs fully failing at 150 or so. 

The long periods at idle and low thrust were hard on the left sides of the nacelles and left aft fuselage. Spiral was very evident from that exercise. 

As for anyone offended by the cartoon, you know the old saying about those who can't take a joke...,   This is a forum about toy airplanes, not brain surgery. 
Old 03-27-2013, 04:52 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well the prop bites off chunks at an angle but the resultant flow quickly realigns with the ambient air
air does have mass -and the wannabe physic majors will say " an object in motion" etc., but real world the spiral quickly dies . a spinning mass tends to return to a straight line - unless tethered- Now if we are talking abou the moon spinning around the earth - we get into a different set of rules -involving gravity
(my next slide please)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.