Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Hot air balloon airspeed indicator???

Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Hot air balloon airspeed indicator???

Old 05-28-2021, 04:49 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hot air balloon airspeed indicator???

The latest Hammacher-Schlemmer catalog offers a hot air balloon for $49,000. The description of what you get includes an airspeed indicator. Since the airspeed of a balloon is zero, except for gusts, what is this thing? One thought that occurred to me was that it's really a ground-speed indicator, using a GPS, which would tell you how fast the air mass you're in is moving, which I suppose might be useful. But that would be an odd use of words, unless maybe balloon people have their own jargon. Anybody know?
Old 06-03-2021, 07:30 AM
Pylonracr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with you. Unless I am missing something the airspeed is zero. GPS based speed is a logical conclusion....

Scott
Old 06-08-2021, 12:17 PM
BMatthews

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Vertical speed? But even there I'd expect the GPS based idea to provide both ground and vertical speeds.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:54 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I vaguely remember mention from a hot air balloon instructor that they have an anenometer type instrument strapped to the side of the gondola that they use to sense windspeed and direction changes as they move through boudary layers as the climb/decend so they can bettee inform the chase crew where they may end up.

granted with Gps receivers/trackers now, that is probly an outdates tech that is less likely used.