Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Truth or lie

Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Truth or lie

Old 06-09-2021, 01:48 AM
stearman70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truth or lie

Hello, I have a doubt, assures me a friend that the suggestion of engine power that comes in ALL plans for construction
it is made with respect to sea level basically, and then other parameters are used. I think maybe on some planes, but that's usually done taking into account, NACA, weight of the plane, wing position, wingspan, etc. and not the sea level reference, I have flown many years both at sea level and as many at 6000 feet and I know what height affects airplanes..
What do you think about ?
Old 06-09-2021, 01:58 AM
init4fun

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by stearman70 View Post
Hello, I have a doubt, assures me a friend that the suggestion of engine power that comes in ALL plans for construction
it is made with respect to sea level basically, and then other parameters are used. I think maybe on some planes, but that's usually done taking into account, NACA, weight of the plane, wing position, wingspan, etc. and not the sea level reference, I have flown many years both at sea level and as many at 6000 feet and I know what height affects airplanes..
What do you think about ?
I have asked the moderators to move this thread to the Aerodynamics subforum, since it has nothing to do with the AMA .....
Old 06-09-2021, 02:01 AM
stearman70

Thank you.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:58 AM
init4fun

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by stearman70 View Post
Thank you.

Your Welcome. Now that the discussion is in the proper area I'll say two things here;

#1, I've never flown a model airplane at 6000 feet, Hell, I'd be surprised if any of my flights ever exceeded 2000 feet.

#2, On all but the simplest RC trainer model planes, I've always stuck with the upper end(or maybe slightly above) of the engine size recommendations and haven't had problems with an under powered plane yet.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:40 PM
stearman70

Hi, regarding your point number 2, I usually do the same. and referring to his number one point, I was referring to the height above sea level. Mexico City is 2,400 metres (7,200 ft) away. I currently live in Guadalajara City, which is approximately 4,800 feet away.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:16 PM
Pylonracr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live at 5200" altitude and have flown a float plane off of a lake near here at 6100". Power is one part of the equation. Using more nitro helps, where many sport flyers use 10% near sea level, the normal here is 15%. At this altitude we use less prop as well. Needless to say, we pretty much tend to the upper end of the power recommendation with our planes.

Scott
The following users liked this post:
stearman70 (06-10-2021)