Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Prop Thrust for slow glo pwr planes

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Prop Thrust for slow glo pwr planes

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 01:19 AM
Keester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop Thrust for slow glo pwr planes

I May be in the wrong area for these questions, But I have 2 of my favorite planes, A Lazy Tiger with a LA 40 on it and a Lazy Bee {classic} with a BB Fox 15. I have enjoyed these planes a lot for a couple of years now and both are powered well and fly quite well. But I have been flying an Eflight Ultimate Bipe with a 3 cell lipoly set up and wow! This thing is fun! It is a very different type of flying. My question is while I know the to lazy birds I have are not designed for 3D flight they both have one thing in common. They are very stable at slow speeds. They can come out of an all out stall in a very short time and distance. Couldnt I put some large diameter, low pitch props on these things to open a new way to fly them? I can harrier the Lazy bee kinda ok and the fox 15 is plenty of motor for this thing but when it stalls the motor cant quite take it up when I need to. However while I can fly it slow it really hauls when you let it wind up. The Lazy tiger is the same way in that it can fly very slowly but dosent have the vertical power without full throttle and going way too fast. I run a Master air 7X4 on the Fox 15 and a Master air 10X5 simitar on the Tiger. Wont a large diameter low pitch prop give enough thrust without the speed. I could just go and trial and error this, I understand proping takes a lot of that anyways but I thought I would ask you guys first. It never hurts and almost allways helps.
Thanks, Keester
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85871.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	193059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64497.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	193060  
Old 11-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Prop Thrust for slow glo pwr planes

It's more weight than power that keeps the Ace and Bee from any real slow hover-type flight.
The e-motor can turn a much larger prop slowly to get the awesome thrust.
The glow motors need to turn fast, which limits the prop size.
I'm content with a 7x6 on the 15 in my Bee.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96573.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	193146