Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Flat "airfoils".

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Flat "airfoils".

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 09:21 PM
Steve108
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat "airfoils".

I am looking to design a 1/2A flying wing out of coroplast. I want to use a flat airfoil if this would work to keep it simple and light. Will a flat airfoil work for a small, fast plane?

Here is a simple design:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52115.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	197118  
Old 11-27-2004, 09:29 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Flat "airfoils".

of course - there have been many of em
Old 11-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't need the horn balances. They just get in the way, especially on landing.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:06 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That looks REALLY small from the scale of the prop. 24 inch'ish span? At the speeds such a model will fly a single layer of corroplast WILL twist and flex making the wing snap around and make the model unflyable. I suspect that's why the corroplast PBF's "trip" over themselves at high speeds.

You may want to think about a spar system of some form to limit the issue. Or make the model out of pink styro ala Crazy Herb's Pink series. You can then carve the foam into more of an airfoil and that'll produce a stiffer model that resists twisting. It'll still need spars but you can make that with 3 or 4 strips of newspaper "doped" on with water based polyurethane. Make the paper staggered in size and width to provide the strength at the center. For example 1inch wide by 16 long, covered with a 1 1/2 x 18 stip, covered with a 2 x 24 strip. The three layers form a pretty decent spar when paper mache'd onto 1 inch foam this way. Finish the foam with a coat or two of the polyU to fuel proof. Some extra paper around the engine area will beef up the firewall.