Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Flaperon

Old 12-21-2001, 03:24 PM
cassio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaperon

I have an Avistar/SupertigreGs40 and was thinking on put Flaperons on it. Would it be a good idea? I know that this airplane already have good lift, but my "fly-road" is very short when there is no wind. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-27-2001, 06:23 AM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default flaperons

Don't forget that flaperons also reduce washout and make tip stalling a distinct possibility.
I use several degrees 'up' aileron (opposite to flaperons) on our big warbirds and it really helps reduce the tip stall.

bentwings
Old 12-28-2001, 06:11 PM
rusgmil
My Feedback: (1)

Default Flaperon

You don't need more than about 15 to 20 deg down. Make sure your ailerons still move down without binding with full down flaperon. Add more rudder to aileron coupling and add more ailerons differentcial. Deploy the flaperons under 1/3 power or the model may "balloon". I've used this setup on several models and you'll be surprised at the difference in the slow flying characteristics.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:33 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

Default flaperons on avistar

I built mine with two servos in the wing from the get go (arf version, not the ready to fly version). I learned to fly on it, and then started playing with flaperons, air brakes, etc. I would say, 15 degrees max on the flaperons works well, but it gets very tippy, as said in previous posts. I think you would be better suited to set up the air brake function on the radio, giving about 10-12% of down to assist in takeoff. I would actually attach a hand launch zagi wing on the top of the wing, used wing bolts instead of rubber bands (again, right from the start of construction).

It will tend to make the plane very jumpy on final approach, given the increased surface area that is moving, so stalling is a very great possibility.

The last setting we had the most fun with, was using flaperons, and setting the airbrake to turn the ailerons upwards, pushing down on the wing, and it would just suck itself down to the runway. With flaperons, it would also do the tightest loops, so make sure you glass your wing, so you dont hear the dreaded POP!!!.

The pic is with the zagi on, before I enlarged the rudder to about double original size. It would pull the zagi up with an la 46. That plane saw many different motor combos, including an la46, supertigre gs 45 (rocketship with unlimited vertical), and a ys45 (more rocket, more vertical)

And yes, those zagi wings are available as a kit if someone is interested. all up weight with servos and battery is about 2-4 oz.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1061_721.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	888  
Old 01-15-2002, 03:56 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flaperons

For short runway landings, if your radio has a flaperon setting and a free mix, landing spoilers are a better bet.

I mix throttle->flaps and set the flaps to move upward as spoilers when the throttle is retarded past half way. The setting is set to my landing switch. The spoilers drop down on application of power. Start with about 10-15 deg up flap and progress from there.

This set up works very well on windy days.