Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Thrust angle for pusher?

Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Thrust angle for pusher?

Old 02-11-2005, 01:25 AM
Cautrell05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thrust angle for pusher?

I am getting near the end of my little x-29 scratchbuild and am in the process of building the rudder and motor mount. The plane is small- 12 inch ws 16 inch long, edp50 3x2 and between 3 and 3.5 oz auw. On conventional planes they are usually built with some right and down trust. What about on a pusher? My other question is about the rudder. Because of its size the plane is canard/throttle/aileron only. I have the option to build the rudder with some offset on the trailing edge- right or left. Would it be better to just build it straight or put some trim in it? Thanks
Nick
Old 02-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thrust angle for pusher?

No offsets on anything!
Add them if needed following flight testing.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:59 PM
mulligan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thrust angle for pusher?

TP is right. Start off at zero and go from there. But, just in academic terms, the analogous thrusts for a pusher do the same thing. You would want down thrust, which means the top of the prop arc is slightly forward of the bottom of the prop arc. The right/left thrust question depends on the engine/prop combination (you could run an opposite rotating engine or use an opposite hand prop. It's easiest to say it this way: when you start the pusher, if you flip the engine to the left (counter-clockwise), then you would want left thrust, which means the right side of the prop arc is slightly forward of the left side of the prop arc.