Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

calculating servo torque requirements?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

calculating servo torque requirements?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 08:55 AM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default calculating servo torque requirements?

Is there a formula, or other method, to determine the servo torque needed for control surfaces? There are so many servos- and the cost escalates accordingly-that it's difficult to know what is needed. For example, I'm scratch building a twin engine jet (Su-27) with all moving stabs (elevons). One suggestion was to use two- JR 8611 at 220oz. each, on each stab. That seems extraordinary. Since I scratch build mostly, very few plans indicate what servos are required. Any thoughts? Bill S.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: calculating servo torque requirements?

Try this spreadsheet
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...calculator.xls
Old 06-06-2005, 12:45 PM
stek79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting spreadsheet!

Is the model utilized an approximated one? If so, what is the accuracy?

I was thinking about a servo related issues. Imagine a servo whose arms are attached to ailerons (i.e., tipical trainer setup). What is the required torque now? We have two surfaces to move, instead of one... but I was thinking that perhaps in this case the required torque is LESSER than the required torque for a single servo attacched to one aileron. In fact, since ailerons move in opposite directions, when one pushes the servo arm in one direction, the other aileron will push the other arm in the other direction... so the servo in this case will not see any torque!

What do you think about that?
Old 06-06-2005, 04:18 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stek79

Very interesting spreadsheet!

------ In fact, since ailerons move in opposite directions, when one pushes the servo arm in one direction, the other aileron will push the other arm in the other direction... so the servo in this case will not see any torque!

What do you think about that?

Oooops!!!! The loads don't cancel -- up aileron imposes a load and down aileron also imposes a load. They are additive, although not necessarily of the same magnitude. It doesn't matter if they are driven off opposite sides of the servo -- the servo shaft rotates in the same direction to deflect each surface & "sees" the resistance from each flight surface.