Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
 Prop question.... >

Prop question....

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Prop question....

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 12:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Prop question....

@ other reasons for a multi blade are slowing down in a angled dive, prop resistance is HUGE in the big Super Marine counter-rotating prop carrier version. The dive brakes were idle speed.
---- Reduction of vibration at all speeds and loads.
The boat people have proven this to death.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hibrass,
That detail info is kewl. Amazing what minutiae is hidden in books. But truth is, I wasn't reading "Thunderbolt" when I ran across the pilot's anecdote. I don't think I even have that book. And the pilot wasn't Johnson. I'll go dig it out of the pile.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:13 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

darock,

If you get the chance get the book..! Robert S Johnson was the first American pilot to beat Eddie Rickenbacker score from WWI... Hell of a good story.

Later,

Hibrass
Old 12-31-2005, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many good points made.

Actually the Spitfires got 5 bladed props of smaller diameter when the Griffon was fitted. The smaller diameter minimized the detrimental effects of increasing the power. One of many reasons why the Griffon Spitfire was a much nicer plane to fly than the Corsair for example, particularly near the stall.

The huge diameter of the Corsair's prop and it's consequent spiral airflow was the main reason for the Corsair having a wedge on the starboard wing to promote the stall.

Talking about blade efficiency is a whole can of worms unless you're going to go the whole hog, but on a model with a fixed pitch prop, or indeed a full size with fixed pitch prop then you can either absorb more power with more blade or more pitch.

Increasing pitch is fine for increased cruising speed but it will kill your acceleration and short field performance. Increasing blade size has already been covered, but to summarize, you need to account for:

Tip speed
Mechanical restrictions (eg ground clearance etc)

If you still need a good compromise of acceleration, top/cruising speed and not strimming the grass, then you need more blades.

Smaller diameters and more blades are generally accepted as being a quieter solution on full size aircraft, and result in a more user friendly aircraft from a flying point of view.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:34 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Jamie,
I couldn't help commenting on your post.

It is the first one of 2006!!

(that I have seen at any rate)
Regards (and Happy New Year to everyone)
Allan
Old 01-01-2006, 10:58 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some pattern guys use 3 bladed props for breaking action on downllines. I flew a trainer with the Evolution 3 bladed prop (after it was balanced thru a lot of trimming) and it had very noticable breaking when reducing the throttle.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Use a 5 blade and eject the pilot on the last down line.[sm=biggrin.gif]