Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

landing gear angle fore or aft?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

landing gear angle fore or aft?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 10:49 AM
les40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default landing gear angle fore or aft?

Should landing gear be angled forward or aft? I bought a Klett fiberglass landing gear for my airplane and I don't know which way to put it on. Thanks
Old 03-11-2006, 11:23 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: landing gear angle fore or aft?

It depends on the airframe, gear configuration (trike or dragger), where the mounting point is relative to the C-of-G, etc.

Tell us more about the plane.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The general rule is that you draw a vertical line through the cg and then draw a line going down at 15 degrees forward. If your wheels touch the ground on that line, you can grease landings on hardtop. Need to be a little more forward for grass. (Talking taildragger here, of course.)
Old 03-11-2006, 02:39 PM
les40

Thanks a lot for the responses! This is a .40 sized Aero-Works Edge 540. I talked with the owner of the local hobby shop with a lot of experience. His son competes in the tournament of champions etc., it's the Hobby Barn here in Tucson. He said that if the gear gets too far forward the airplane will have a tendency to bounce and if it gets too far aft the airplane will have a tendency to nose over. I fly off of a dirt field. I'm still not sure which direction I will put it.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:12 PM
da Rock

Thats good advice, but don't you have gear on it already?

You're going to be pretty much limited as to where to connect the gear to the fuselage. The Edge already has a gear location setup. You're pretty much stuck with that.

Put the new gear on the model so the wheels are where the old ones were. If you don't have the old ones, then while you're in that LHS, look at all the Edge models around the place. Almost every one of them will have their wheels in the same place as every other one. Do what they're all doing

And take a look at http://aero-works.net at the pictures of the plane.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Jim Thomerson

Hey les40, I'm coming out to Tucson tomorrow for the CL Vintage Stunt contest, Wed-Sat at Christopher Columbus Park on Silverbell. We have over 200 preregistered entrants. Come take a look.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:55 PM
les40

Jim,

I'll probably come out. What kind of plane will you be flying so I can look for you?