Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Basic questions about Tapered wings

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Basic questions about Tapered wings

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 02:51 PM
ArCeeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Basic questions about Tapered wings

ORIGINAL: B.L.E.

I have heard stories of pilots bailing out of planes that were in a spin only to have the plane recover on it's own and fly in lazy circles until the fuel was gone.
What a cruel irony for the pilot. I guess by removing the pilot's weight like that instantly relieved the plane of that 100+ pounds of spinning inertia and helped it recover. Kind of like spinning a weight on the end of a string and the weight suddenly coming off. The only way to save his plane was to jump. LOL One of Mother Natures devious pranks.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:47 AM
The_Pipefather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dick you have not made a conclusion as to which type of wing you found to be the best for aerobatic performance without any "nasty surprises" for the pilot. Lets assume that wing and power loading are constant for the moment.

---------------------------------------

So everyone seems to agree that:

1) if aesthetics were to be of minimal concern, a regular straight wing of any given aspect ratio and some wahout would do the job as well as a swept (tapered) LE wing.

2) if aesthetics are to be considered then a wing which has a tip chord atleast 60% of the root chord, without any washout, is the best.

I am just trying to summarize what all have said so that it makes it easier for me to understand.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:37 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

model airplane - NO washout - just a simple panel rectangular or with a mild taper / equal swept straight LE makes very little difference
12-10% thick high point -oh 30% - best for strength -then straight to the trailing edge left thick for best strength.
aspect ratio- 3.5---6 . somewhere in there .
All of the figures for man carrying - NON UNLIMITED aerobatic planes - just ar not relevant

a scale wing from a Sukhoi 26 or a Zivco EDGE are good but the airfoil is difficult to get right on the model - SO the scale wing from a Staudacher is about as good as it gets for a really good fully areobatic model.