Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

VectorFlight Edge 540 Stall Issue

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

VectorFlight Edge 540 Stall Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Propwash in Pa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VectorFlight Edge 540 Stall Issue

I have been flying a Vector Flight Edge 540 w/ 4-stroke 91. The plane seems to stall VERY easily, even as high speed if just a little too much elevator is added. Stalls are in the form of a pretty hard snap roll. The CG is currently set to be slightly nose heavy. Plane is not enjoyable to fly because of the limitation due to this problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Still Have 10
Old 08-11-2006, 10:24 AM
mesae

Default RE: VectorFlight Edge 540 Stall Issue

First, any good snapping aerobatic airplane will show this characteristic to some degree, but...

If you think it's really nose-heavy try moving the CG back. This will lighten the load on the wing and free up some lift to turn the airplane that was being used just to counter excessive tail down-force. It will still be snappy though, hopefully you will be able to pull a bit harder before it stalls. I like snappy airplanes anyway, since I really like precision snap rolls, but an airplane that's snappy because it's overweight isn't exactly relaxing to fly.

If that doesn't fix your problem, then it's possible it's just overweight - so put it on a diet.

You might also want to check your elevator throws - they might be excessive but based on what you wrote, the CG is the likelier culprit.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:56 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the suggested CG locations for the model you have, and where does your model balance?

What is the suggested weight of the model, and what does yours weigh?

What are the suggested throws, and what are yours?

I would suggest that you dial some exponential into the TX until you've got this twitchiness sorted out.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:00 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

that plane just does that...
I had one for a while... it took soooo little elevator to do anything..even with the CG in various places...
Old 08-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Propwash in Pa

I am going to double check all this stuff and also make sure that the elevator halves are moving in unison. I did read a thread that it might be tail heavy if the manufacture missed on the CG. This plane tracks like a pattern bird because of its long fuse but does not react like one. I don’t like a plane that is unpredictable. If these couple of mod don’t work, check the “For Sale, Trade or Barter†section.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:40 PM
mesae

ORIGINAL: Propwash in Pa

I am going to double check all this stuff and also make sure that the elevator halves are moving in unison. I did read a thread that it might be tail heavy if the manufacture missed on the CG. This plane tracks like a pattern bird because of its long fuse but does not react like one. I don’t like a plane that is unpredictable. If these couple of mod don’t work, check the “For Sale, Trade or Barter†section.

Is the problem just that it snaps too easilly or is it too pitch sensitive in normal flight also? The two characteristics are not necessarily related. You did not complain of pitch sensitivity or "wandering" so my suggestion was based on what you said about it being nose-heavy. A too-far-aft CG can cause both pitch wierdness in normal flight and bad snap characteristics, including sometimes delayed recovery from stalls and spins.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:42 PM
exeter_acres

mine had a mind of its own...very unpredictable response to inputs... always seemed to be hunting......
Old 08-11-2006, 02:45 PM
shakes268

Weird, I've been flying mine since last year and it flies great. I haven't experienced any of the tendencies you guys have talked about. It's not snappy but the plane doesn't like to fly slow - flies fast. Will do the most insane blenders!!! Yes, its touchy on the elevator. I have very low rates on mine.

[link=http://media.putfile.com/Jarod-Marshalls-Edge-540]http://media.putfile.com/Jarod-Marshalls-Edge-540[/link]
Old 08-11-2006, 03:07 PM
mesae

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

mine had a mind of its own...very unpredictable response to inputs... always seemed to be hunting......
Did it have anyting to do with activities represented by your avatar?
Old 08-11-2006, 03:10 PM
exeter_acres

Hic...

Hic...

well... most of the time I don't remember much about my

hic....

what were we talking about....

hic...
Old 08-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Propwash in Pa

Okay, I made a few mods and they seemed to have a very positive affect. First, I moved the CG about 3/8" forward (took weight out of the tail), verified elevator halves moved in perfect harmony, then added about 1/16" "up" in each aileron. This produced some washout. All in all, it is a new plane. Could perform all maneuvers without stalling, as long as I didn’t horse the elevator. This plane does like speed and responds similar to a pattern ship, long and graceful. Also, big difference on landing. Actually enjoyed flying it and took the For Sale sign down.

John
Old 10-12-2006, 08:37 PM
rjbranchii

I'm chimming in here pretty late but have alot of hours on Vector Flight planes and they have been the best scale aerobats in my stable. They will not snap unless the elevator throw is too high. If it is then you can run into problems. The small 58 inch Extra reauired medium rates to land to get the flair. It just required a tad more airspeed on approach. The Edge though is as neutral as it gets. They do not however like to fly slow. These are not 3D fliers. They need to be propped to go considerably up tempo. With your VF Edge the correct balance point is very easy to find. Just roll it inverted. If you need to add any down you are nose heavy. It should not have any difference in trim inverted. That balance came much easier with a Magnum .91 in it than the ST .90 I normally flew with. I had to add weight to the tail with the ST (Bisson muffler weight is the difference). But it is a much easier to make happy plane flying with the ST because it just plan flies faster. Once I got the Magnum proped right then it was fine and is the power plant I have in the plane today. But you can absolutely forget unlimited verticle with a 4 stroke .91. No way. The ST .90? How high is unlimited anyhow?

The Edge does not require anything more than the manual low rate elevator to flair. Anything more and you will probably have too much. Oh, With the Manum .91 it hovers nicely on low rates. Very cool. Just not enough power to pull out vertically. You just have to turn to level and then fly out.

Good luck with it. They fly so well they are becoming cult planes.

bob
Old 12-12-2006, 07:28 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Propwash,
Any updates on how the airplane is doing? Still flying it?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Propwash in Pa

See my earlier comments. She is now well behaved and a pleasure to fly. If you have one, just remember that they do not like to be flown slow. Keep the speed up.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:38 PM
MarioM

Hello,
I just bought this plane off a guy who either never flew it or hated the first flights and wanted to get rid of it... I put in an OS FS-Surpass II engine in it. I dont have an manual and want to make sure the CG is as close to perfect as possible.... What is the CG for this plane? It is a Vectorflight Edge 540 60...

-Does anyone have the manual?
Old 07-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Propwash in Pa

Just check the instruction pages
CG is 4" +/-3/8" from behind the leading edge at the fuse sides.

Throws
Rudder - High-1 1/2" Low-3/4"
Ailerons - High-5/8" Low-3/8"
Elevator - High-5/8" Low-3/8"

The plane is very pitch sensitive, keep the elevator throws as recommended.

Also, read the other comment. She does not like to float in nose high to land (you will land on the right wingtip). Carry speed with a little down elevator to ground.

Good luck
Old 07-20-2007, 02:36 PM
MarioM

PropWash pa.... You are the man... Thanks a million dude!

Having the offical manual and following the the instructions for CG, throws etc are important to me because if gives me move confidance for that first flight.

Other planes I am flying are, Big Stik 40, U Can Do 3D .46, Yak 54 (40 size), reflection 3d electric. Reciencly I trashed two planes... an F15 eagle which someone gave me & whos throw surfaces were all warped & the balsa old and dried up & a Zlin Z-50 which suffered some strucutal failure during the first flight... The company is sending me a new one.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Propwash in Pa

No problem. Once I worked through the bugs, she became a nice "point-n-go", semi-pattern plane. I think adding the washout (see above) and taking some weight out of the tail made a huge difference. I can't over emphasize the point about landing. Your U-Can-Do can crawl in nose high. This 540 lands alot like a scale WWII bird. Set-up a reasonably high angle for approach, push the nose down, carry speed, and flair for the wheel to touch, never really letting the nose angle up. You want to land on the mains. If you bounce the first touch, I would add full power and go. If it stalls, mine would snap very quickly to the right, needing altitude and airspeed to recover. Let me know how you make out.

Good luck.