Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Airfoil ID

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Airfoil ID

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 08:54 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airfoil ID

I've attached a pic of the root airfoil from Kimbro's Deception. I was hoping someone might know what type it is. It sort of looks like a laminar flow type since the thickest point is pretty far back. What would its advantages be over an NACA 00xx type? Less drag, I'm guessing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53061.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	515064  
Old 08-29-2006, 12:18 AM
wellss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airfoil ID

probably a 63 series. Drag is only lower in a small angle of attack range. Outside of that range, it is significantly higher, contributing to a lower maximum lift.
At low Rn, the drag reduction is negligable.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Rainedav, it looks more like a narrow arch support, size 11 or 12 Wing Tip. LOL
Old 09-12-2006, 01:00 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It does look like that doesn't it. This sort of shape used to be quite common in pattern ship plans I looked at back in the 70's and 80's. Pappy Debolt in particular was fond of this shape.

At our model sizes it doesn't really work well at reducing drag because it's actually very hard to maintain a proper laminar flow at our typical reynolds number range. What may actually be happening is that the extra drag from the "bad" airflow helps the model to achieve a better constant speed in the verticals. Oddly enough a direct opposite goal to what the airfoil was originally intended for if it really is one of the laminar flow types.

Perhaps Dick Hanson will drop in here and expound more on this since he's probably forgotten more about pattern ships than I've ever known.