Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
 NACA Airfoils >

NACA Airfoils

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

NACA Airfoils

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 06:37 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NACA Airfoils

I am looking for NACA 00012 and NACA 00009 airfoil coordinates. I am building an F-16 Falcon from an older kit and I need to replace the wing cores. I need the coordinates in order to have the new wing cores cut.
I received the NACA numbers from the designer, but I have not been able to recreate the airfoil shapes.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 10-20-2006, 02:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: NACA Airfoils

Download and install Profili 2 from www.profili2.com . Included with the program is a subroutine that generates NACA airfoil files. From there you can either use the CAD dxf output or just take the coordinates from the generated data file.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: TNeall

I am looking for NACA 00012 and NACA 00009 airfoil coordinates. I am building an F-16 Falcon from an older kit and I need to replace the wing cores. I need the coordinates in order to have the new wing cores cut.
I received the NACA numbers from the designer, but I have not been able to recreate the airfoil shapes.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim,

Those are VERY thin foils. Did you mean 0012 and 0009, 12% and 9% respectively? :-)
Old 10-21-2006, 07:13 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks. I have tried CompuFoil3D, but they don’t list these airfoils in their database. I’ll try the Profili2.
The numbers came from the designer and yes, they are very thin. I thought that I had misread his email and I have reread it several times just to make sure of the numbers. I have not been able to make contact with him since that email, so I guess that I am on my own.
I am considering scanning the plans and importing the airfoil sections into CAD to create the geometry for the foam cutter.
I just thought that it would be better if I could generate the true NACA airfoil coordinates.

Thanks again,
Tim
Old 10-21-2006, 04:14 PM

TNeall,

IMHO, at least the wing airfoil is too thin. Even the real airfoil is a 64A204 (http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/fighter/f16/) which is a 4%. While I know scale foils don't usually work for our planes, you might have problems with the strength of the model's wing...especially the twisting. At least a thicker wing would be stronger and resist aerodynamic pressures better.

Butch
Old 10-21-2006, 05:46 PM
My Feedback: (18)

CompuFoil has a NACA generator feature that allows the user to reproduce virtually any NACA airfoil. First, use the generator to reproduce the 64A205 (5% is the least thickness offered). Then use the change thickness tool from the main toolbar to reduce to 4%.

It is an extremely thin section for models!
Old 10-21-2006, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An NACA 00009 airfoil, on a 10 inch chord, would be .09 inches thick.
An NACA 0009, the usual designation, would be .9 inches thick.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

And here I thought that this was just a simple finger stutter typo.

I agree that those airfoils are WAY too thin. You may as well just make the darn things from 1/4 sheet balsa and be done with it. Even a 20 inch chord on the 00012 would still only be 1/4 inch thick. You may want to look into this a little further. Have you got plans? Or if it's a fiberglass fuse can you put the top deck and bottom moldings togehter and see what thickness is suggested by the gap between them?