Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Effect of tilted horizontal stab

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Effect of tilted horizontal stab

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:15 PM
JustErik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Effect of tilted horizontal stab

Somehow, between the time I clamped it in place and the time the glue dried, the horizontal stab tilted counterclockwise about 3 or 4 degrees. As best as my brain can figure, this will induce a yaw when applying elevator. I'm hoping I'll be able to mix it out. What other consequences might I expect form this screw up?

Thanks,

Erik
Old 11-30-2007, 09:31 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Effect of tilted horizontal stab

I've done that several times, and I've never been able to tell the difference. My latest profile has this problem, and even with 60* throws I can't tell it in the air. If it's less than 5* or so I wouldn't worry about it.

What kind of plane is it?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:36 PM
JustErik

Coincidentally, it's a slab as well, a Sabre 56. I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one who has done this. Thanks for the info.

Erik
Old 11-30-2007, 09:58 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

3 to 4 degrees won't have much aerodynamic effect unless it's a pattern model where all the little things count but it's hard to fly the model when you're staring at your toes as you hang your head in shame while the other guys at the field point and smirk. I'd say slice it off and do it again but that's me.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:04 PM
JustErik

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

3 to 4 degrees won't have much aerodynamic effect unless it's a pattern model where all the little things count but it's hard to fly the model when you're staring at your toes as you hang your head in shame while the other guys at the field point and smirk. I'd say slice it off and do it again but that's me.

Everyone already rolls their eyes when I pull in anyway. I'm only person in the whole club that seems to fly profiles. It's all I fly anymore. The last thing I worry about is their reaction to a crooked stab. Heck, I have enough to worry about just getting my planes home in one piece.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:27 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fly lower, the problem will go away.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tilting the stab is standard practice for trimming the glide turn in a free flight model, but has little effect on the power pattern. If you decide to glide your airplane it may want to turn toward the high side of the stab.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:10 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: JustErik

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

Everyone already rolls their eyes when I pull in anyway. I'm only person in the whole club that seems to fly profiles. It's all I fly anymore. The last thing I worry about is their reaction to a crooked stab. Heck, I have enough to worry about just getting my planes home in one piece.

Excellent. Tell them you did it on purpose and make up some great sounding technical story about how it makes it easier or better for something or the other....
Old 11-30-2007, 11:15 PM
AERORICH73

Yep, just fly the plane and let'um laugh while you are holding your head up high having fun maneuvering your model in and out of aerobatic flight paths.

[email protected]
Old 12-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Tell them it's to counteract P-factor and gyroscopic precession at high AOA. Better than a couple degrees of right thrust, it even works when inverted...
Old 12-01-2007, 01:24 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

You will be able to trim it out but the trim will only work at one speed and one attitude.

The worst result from a tilted stab is that the plane won't track well through a loop. It'll "screw out" of loops, coming out of the loop on a different heading and roll angle. The worse the tilt, the worse the screwing effect.

I have completely disassembled and rebuilt planes that have had this problem. It will make a difference in any looping maneuver.

Is it enough to bother you? That depends on the type of flying you do and how particular you are. Personally, I'd cut the joint loose, shim it and reglue. Should be easy enough on a slab fuse too.

Dave
Old 12-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the other hand, you could make your stab where it would piviot, say 30 degrees both up and down, either way on command. So far as I know no one has ever tried it. You might be onto something really excellent. Would at least give your flying buddies pause.