Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
CG location on a lifting body >

CG location on a lifting body

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

CG location on a lifting body

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 02:19 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG location on a lifting body

Does anyone have a formula or a rough idea where the CG will be located on a lifting body aircraft?

Thanks,
Old 05-22-2003, 07:49 PM

The easiest way is to make a small glider of the exact shape out of foam and when you get it flying OK transfer that CG to the larger one. It then incorporates all the strange variations that might be happening.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:18 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Ben,

I was going to build a small glider like you said but was looking for a place to start with the CG. Any ideas???

Thanks,
Old 05-22-2003, 10:53 PM

Honestly I just make a guess based on what has worked before. It's a wierd analog lots of failures based Zen thing.

Look at

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scherrer/mat...glish/mce.html

for a multi panel wing MAC locater. Just change the inputs to approximate your shape and you should be fairly close to the location of the MAC. Then go maybe 5 percent of the MAC forward and put the CG there as a start.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You want to have a center vertical keel that mirrors the side view and a "wing" that mirrors the top view.

Start with the balance so that theres about 1/3 of the area ahead of the balance.

For setting it you need to look at the stall and dive pullout charactaristics. It's easy to make anything glide with enough reflex but it'll only fly efficiently with minimum reflex and the CG as far back as practical that still lets the glide recover from dives without zooming up into more and more viscious stalls. So keep moving the balance back and reducing the reflex at the trailing edge until it doesn't fly stable in pitch. At that point you've hit the most rearwards setting.