Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
 Will this still fly OK? >

Will this still fly OK?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Will this still fly OK?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:25 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will this still fly OK?

I mounted my kids little Flip digital recorder on top of the wing on my 60 size Ultra Stick. As you will see in the pictures it blocks a lot of the vertical stab. How bad will it effect the way it flys? I know it will be more drag and it my cause it to pitch up some. I don't plan on full throttle low passes just a low power flight around the field and catch a little video of the local area. It is mounted in foam and taxi test around the yard the vibration isn't too bad although the mic picks up all the wind noise from the prop and not much engine noise. I just wanted some input before flying it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87166.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1108635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90841.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1108636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46361.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1108637  
Old 01-11-2009, 05:50 PM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Will this still fly OK?

You won't notice it at all. Have fun!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What he said.

At max speed there will be a fair bit of drag on the camera. Just make sure it is secured well. Adding a wedge of syrofoam in behind it that is shaped sort of like the back 1/2 of an airfoil would reduce the push on the face of the camera.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much did you pay for that recorder?

It might be a good idea to make your red support into more of a box. Especially if you're going to fly over tall grass or such.

I know you only wanted to find out about the drag. But a guy at the field tried the same thing and his video recorder is out in the woods as we speak. Been there over a year.

Put a front and sides on the red support and it'll hold the recorder mechanically. Only need something to keep the recorder in. And that won't be very load bearing unless you do outside loops.

Sorry to spin off, but we've been looking for that guys recorder for a very long time. And he doesn't come out as much anymore since he has a low tolerance to kidding.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the help. It is mounted through the bottom with a 1/4 20 bolt and locknut. I was also going to secure it to the mount with a velcro strap. Now I just need some warmer weather to fly.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:12 PM

I just wanted to let everyone know I finally got to fly with the camera on last Sunday. I turned it facing backwards and it did a real good job. After I first took off it needed 3 clicks of up elevator to trim out. The video turned out pretty good but it did vibrate at some throttle settings. I got a 7 and 9 min video. I will cut some of it and upload it oneday.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kewl.....

It's interesting that the addition of a massive drag structure sticking above the airframe required up trim. This aero die namics stuff ain't always predictable is it.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:45 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having done similar setups on fun fly models - there is always the chance that the location of the "block" will be such that it does blank the vertical fin enough to setup a tail wag.
if so - move it forwrd or backward.(as much a s CG permits)
If you really think it can have no bearing on this - you just have not flown enough different setups
The effect is easily provable.