Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Lift calculator gone crazy...

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Lift calculator gone crazy...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Lafayette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift calculator gone crazy...

Basically I type in values of my airplane wing. They are lift coefficient 0.1, then Speed 31 km/hour, density is noraml- 1.21 kg/m^3, and Area of wing 3307 cm^2. What the lift calculator gives me is an answer that my wing produces 393817079.2500001 kilograms of lift. This is definitely wrong because if that was true weed have tankers flying on bird wings today... What is wrong? My values are correct and every calculator I try gives me the same answer. The equation I use is L=1/2*Cl*p*V^2*S and that is the correct formula I know that... even when I try to do it manually I get an answer that my airplane gives me that my wings prduce 1922 kg of lift. WHAT THE HECK?? Grrr, I am so annoyed.

What am I doing wrong or is there a good calculator you may suggest? Jesus why is such a simple formula giving me such a headache?

Lafayette.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Lift calculator gone crazy...

I suspect your units are not consistent. I'm used to working in English units, but suspect you need velocity in meters/sec, area in sq meters, density in kg/meter cubed. don't know air density value off the top of my head in metric units.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Lafayette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lift calculator gone crazy...

Oops, found the error. Now it comes out that at 31 km/h I get 1.89 kg of lift from my wings. Sounds about right... yeah the problem was that first off the calculator converted one value wrong during it's calculations and another thing that when I was supposed to write km per second for speed so that the calculator converts it to m/sec, I've written km per hour. And that made a huge difference, anyways got it now, thanks.